First Naturals made/installed by myself

Critical observations about your technique for installations, wear or use.
Forum rules
1. Stay on topic. Be specific and to the point.
2. Be polite. Flaming and personal attacks may result in a ban.
danixdorko

First Naturals made/installed by myself

Post by danixdorko » Sat May 28, 2011 4:35 am

Alrighty ladies and gents, after seeing so many gorgeous natural show offs on here I decided to attempt my own. For my first naturals ever, I don't think they turned out too bad, they're just really stiff! I don't know if that's normal or not but I can't seem to soften them up! I'm not really used to having short dreads either.. Overall, I'm not sure if I like them or not (hence them being in critique instead of show offs). Anyway, onward to pictures!

Pre-install. There were a mix of single enders and double enders, (some braids and twisties too) ending up 74 total. This picture was taken before I had all of them completed, I was too excited to get them in I didn't get pictures of all of them together. >_<

I didn't get any fresh install pictures, they were all sticking out at odd angles because of how stiff they were. This pictures are after one week of wear.

Opinions and suggestions are requested and welcome! :)
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

Leanna Moore

Re: First Naturals made/installed by myself

Post by Leanna Moore » Sat May 28, 2011 5:50 am

I think they look great! I love the colors together too (:

To soften them up, did you try putting them in a pot of boiling water for a while? I do that sometimes when mine turn out a bit too stiff, and it makes them a bit more flexable and soft.

danixdorko

Post by danixdorko » Sat May 28, 2011 8:00 am

I heard that if you take a hot bath with them in it'll have a similar effect and they'll lay more naturally on your head, but it didn't seem to work to well. I might have to take them out and dunk 'em for a bit to see if that helps ahaha. I'm glad you like 'em though! :D
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

CandySecretion

Post by CandySecretion » Sat May 28, 2011 11:18 pm

Very pretty! Those colors compliment you well and they look really good together.

OT and perhaps a little creepy, but your feet are awesome :lol:
Electronic Stimulation

PlasticHair

Post by PlasticHair » Sun May 29, 2011 4:31 am

I love these. Colour combo is amazing! :)

danixdorko

Post by danixdorko » Sun May 29, 2011 4:57 am

CandySecretion wrote:OT and perhaps a little creepy, but your feet are awesome :lol:

Haha, it would be creepy if they weren't in the picture! :lol: But thanks!

Thanks for the compliments! Anyone have any suggestions for me? :D
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Sun May 29, 2011 5:33 am

danixdorko wrote:I heard that if you take a hot bath with them in it'll have a similar effect and they'll lay more naturally on your head, but it didn't seem to work to well. I might have to take them out and dunk 'em for a bit to see if that helps ahaha. I'm glad you like 'em though! :D

I think you have to boil them before installing to make them nice and soft, I don't think plain hot water would have much effect. I had problems like this with the first natural set that I bought from someone, because they were way too thick and overly backcombed, and popping them in boiling water for about 2 minutes fixed them right up (: aye, If you decide to put them in again after you take them out, try the boiling water and see how that works :D and if that makes them too soft, you could try stringing the dreads up, then pour boiling water over them, then straight away after pour on really cold water repeat 1-3 times, it makes the dread matt up real nice while maintaining softness and flexibility.

danixdorko

Post by danixdorko » Sun May 29, 2011 5:44 am

I sealed them by hanging 'em and pouring boiling water over them, but I didn't think to use cold water too, they cooled off almost instantly without my help. O_o

But yes, I'll have to try that! Hopefully it'll work too, cause I do adore the colors of this set!
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

Zombiæ

Post by Zombiæ » Mon May 30, 2011 10:59 am

The dreads look gorgeous and the install is just perfect! Envy!
♥ ♫ Yo ho ho and a bottle of RAM ♫ ♥

Jynx

Post by Jynx » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:55 am

danixdorko wrote:I heard that if you take a hot bath with them in it'll have a similar effect and they'll lay more naturally on your head, but it didn't seem to work to well. I might have to take them out and dunk 'em for a bit to see if that helps ahaha. I'm glad you like 'em though! :D

I have to agree with this. I think it's more the water moving the hair around, and the weight of it, than any "sealing" properties, but it does work!! I usually wait three days before I do so, but I always wash my naturals. That's one of the reasons I prefer them to twisted dreads, I can't stand not being able to really wash my hair and get everything super clean. :P

I have to say, I love them!! Not too much critique, besides keep it up!! Don't be afraid to experiment, either. ;)

danixdorko

Post by danixdorko » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:16 pm

Jynx wrote:I have to say, I love them!! Not too much critique, besides keep it up!! Don't be afraid to experiment, either. ;)

Ahhhh you totally just made my day! Thank you!
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

Dreadie_Lover1

Post by Dreadie_Lover1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:20 pm

Oh my ... They are just perfect!

They suit you so much!

You was born with them!!
"You're Different?!" *Werid Look*..'MEH'... "Darling We're All Different, You Just Don't Have The Balls To Show The World... I Do."

FaerieGirl

Post by FaerieGirl » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:55 pm

Beautiful! :D
Taking over the world, one cupcake at a time. http://www.facebook.com/pages/CausticCu ... 7885476928
CURRENTLY TAKING ORDERS

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:04 pm

Everything about those extensions is perfect to me -- the shape, the ratio of colors, the mixture of textures.. absolutely gorgeous :)
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

danixdorko

Post by danixdorko » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:27 am

ikickshins wrote:Everything about those extensions is perfect to me -- the shape, the ratio of colors, the mixture of textures.. absolutely gorgeous :)
I am so flattered that you like them! I've been meaning to send you some pictures for your DIY gallery but haven't had the chance yet. >_<

Seriously though, thank you all so much! I was actually really insecure about this set because they were so stiff and being my first naturals and all, but you've all made me feel much better about them.
-Indecisive Army-

Sunshine Button.

faeriedreads

Post by faeriedreads » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:29 am

Yeah I love them =D They look pretty light too.

Moratoria

Post by Moratoria » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:40 am

Love them! The texture is great, and with your hair they look like wrappy dreads which works perfectly... for a first set of naturals, I'd say they're pretty fantastic, haha.

Return to “Hair Critique”