First SERIOUS attempt, non-dog-chewed!

Critical observations about your technique for installations, wear or use.
Forum rules
1. Stay on topic. Be specific and to the point.
2. Be polite. Flaming and personal attacks may result in a ban.
poxabomination

Re: First SERIOUS attempt, non-dog-chewed!

Post by poxabomination » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:58 pm

dread_addiction wrote:You know it seems like you are getting screwed a lot.
Must be bad luck with online shopping.
I know right?!?! Thats the reason I get so upset every time, is no matter how hard I try I end up getting screwed in some way. I try and research the sellers, make sure they have good reviews, etc, but I always end up getting screwed or being like the one person who had bad luck with them :( In this case they screwed me but not intentionally or like in a malicious way, they just didn't update their website. They were really prompt in cancelling the transaction and apologetic, but the fact of the matter is now I'm short $114 until my bank clears it.
Thats why I really don't want to buy hair from anyone other than docklocks or iks, and why I don't want to buy a different brand or anything than what I already have, I am absolutely PARANOID about getting screwed up in some way.

Everything that has to do with electronics/computers/machinery = not good for me.
Sounds weird but my mom and I can't wear watches because they stop working and things like that. And I swear my car reacts to my emotions... if I'm really pissed off my car makes weird noises and then when someone else drives it to listen its fine :lol: I think I just have unnaturally bad luck, unfortunately.
"Distant beavers sound the alarm"

"Its not stylish if you look witty."

starfragment666

Post by starfragment666 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm

The only suggestion i would make would be to take the bands off after sealing. Apart from that they are looking great :i2:
Nicxxx
Now free to take custom orders, to view my work click here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 24e97a2785
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=14046

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:08 pm

starfragment666 wrote:The only suggestion i would make would be to take the bands off after sealing. Apart from that they are looking great :i2:
:lol: I'm hearing a helluva lot of that, looks like I definitely need to get on it!! :lol: :lol:

When sealing, what do you guys normally hold the loop on... like... Do you use a dowel or something like that? I've been using a thin, round pencil because it leaves the hole perfectly circular, should I be using something thinner? Hopefully that makes sense. I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but the loops all in all are a little tiny bit bigger than a computer-keyboard-key. I figured its an easy measurement cause all you have to do is look down :lol: If I take off the bands and backcomb a bit more and reseal, will they end up even smaller? :shock:

starfragment666

Post by starfragment666 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:16 pm

I usually loop the hair on a sharpie then tie in place with a bit of wool, i then backcomb and remove the wool after sealing well, especially around the top and on the loop as it holds nicer that way (in my opinion)
When making single enders i position the sharpie in between my knees and backcomb.

Hope this helps :) like the shade of green also :D
Nicxxx

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:27 pm

starfragment666 wrote:I usually loop the hair on a sharpie then tie in place with a bit of wool, i then backcomb and remove the wool after sealing well, especially around the top and on the loop as it holds nicer that way (in my opinion)
When making single enders i position the sharpie in between my knees and backcomb.

Hope this helps :) like the shade of green also :D
Well I tie them on fabric when I'm backcombing but I meant after you're done backcombing and you go to seal them. It seems dangerous to keep them on a sharpie with hot steam :shock: I've been taking them off the fabric and putting them onto a pencil to seal them because its impossible to twist tight when they're looped on fabric (at least for me)

I love the green too! I usually like a bunch of colors in a fall/set but I'm really liking them like this. I want to add a bit of black on some of them when the sets finished, but no more colors. I was originally thinking to add some yellows or pink but I decided not to :)

starfragment666

Post by starfragment666 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:17 pm

I keep it on the sharpie then twist and seal- i find it keeps the loop neat :) i hold the sharpie with my foot-on the floor and steam carefully! :i9:
Nicxxx

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:10 pm

:lol: I can just imagine myself melting holes through it and getting ink everywhere or something...

starfragment666

Post by starfragment666 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:36 pm

poxabomination wrote::lol: I can just imagine myself melting holes through it and getting ink everywhere or something...
Lol :P nah, that hasnt happened yet-thank god! :i9:
Nicxxx

Jynx

Post by Jynx » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:38 am

poxabomination wrote::lol: I can just imagine myself melting holes through it and getting ink everywhere or something...
That'd be me! I use a plastic hanger, and I don't think I'd every use anything else!! That's totally my preference, though. I find it makes it easier to twist, too.

As for thickness, what I've always done is backcomb ALMOST completely, then kinda push bits up, starting from the top. Than I check for any weak points and go back over them. The "push it up" part is really hard to explain, but I basically have my comb at about a 30 degree angle (leaned away from the top of the dread) about an inch at most from the top, and then I gently push it up the length of the dread, while at the same time leaving it the opposite way.

If that made no sense, I am terribly sorry. I REALLY need to get some sleep. :oops:

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Jynx wrote:
That'd be me! I use a plastic hanger, and I don't think I'd every use anything else!! That's totally my preference, though. I find it makes it easier to twist, too.

As for thickness, what I've always done is backcomb ALMOST completely, then kinda push bits up, starting from the top. Than I check for any weak points and go back over them. The "push it up" part is really hard to explain, but I basically have my comb at about a 30 degree angle (leaned away from the top of the dread) about an inch at most from the top, and then I gently push it up the length of the dread, while at the same time leaving it the opposite way.

If that made no sense, I am terribly sorry. I REALLY need to get some sleep. :oops:
No, that makes sense and that exactly how I do it. I think maybe the type of comb I'm using is preventing me from pushing a lot up. Its a teasing comb so it has long teeth and then a bunch of tiny teeth between each one, so I think maybe its just catching too much hair to move it up? I mean the dreads aren't thin, I think they're about average, sharpie thickness, but I was definitely aiming for SLIGHTLY bigger. And I keep gettin conflicting opinions on how much hair to use, on one thread it seems that if you use more hair you get a longer, not necesarrily thicker dread, on another it says if you use more hair it will be thicker. I guess they both make sense to me which is why its so confusing :lol:

starfragment666

Post by starfragment666 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:48 pm

I use a cats grooming brush ^_^
Nicxxx

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:50 pm

starfragment666 wrote:I use a cats grooming brush ^_^
If you mean one of those wirey ones, I tried that for a bit but I found I couldn't backcomb deep enough into the center... like the outside would get all fuzzy but the inside would just be smooth, tangle-free hair. :lol:

starfragment666

Post by starfragment666 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:17 pm

I dont think ive had gthat problem, i guess its just preference.
Where did you buy a teasing comb from? :)
Nicxxx

poxabomination

Post by poxabomination » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 pm

sally's beauty supply! It was like $1.25 haha, I got two in case one broke but so far no problem. They're metal so they bend, but the handle part bends, no the teeth, so its ok :lol: you can just bend it right back.

Yordan

Post by Yordan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Perhaps try a comb with long wid apart teeth one side and smaller fine teeth on the other half, it's what I use and it works a treat, esp because you can alternate what end you use den
pending on what thickness of dread you are making or when backcombing the ends, the fine teeth are brilliant for that :)
I can't wait to see a full set by you!
Why should I wake when I'm half past dead?

Jynx

Post by Jynx » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:30 pm

The best combs that they have at sally's are the colored ones with three rows of teeth. I've been using one comb I got off ebay for a few years though, here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dreadlock-Dread-COM ... 19c48177fe

They're amazing! Honestly, more hair causes a lit of both. Usually, the more hair you use, the thicker they are and the lower the taper really starts. People who make really wispy dreads tend to use less hair, the bulk of it is pushed up into the body and the excess makes up the ends. If you want to make them between 1/2 and 1 inch thick, try breaking the pack into quarters or 5ths. You use a TON of hair for thick dreads.

Return to “Hair Critique”