First Dreads!! (critique please :P )*PICS*

Critical observations about your technique for installations, wear or use.
Forum rules
1. Stay on topic. Be specific and to the point.
2. Be polite. Flaming and personal attacks may result in a ban.
Racher

First Dreads!! (critique please :P )*PICS*

Post by Racher » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:39 pm

ok, so i bought some KK from my local beauty supply and gave dreads a try.
i don't think they are that bad for a first try.

i made 6 SE solid color dreads. 1 i tried to make one a knotty, but turned out horribly wrong so i just twisted it and sealed it (leaving the yarn i used) like the others to see what would happen.

if anyone has any tips on making the loop or sealing the ends..... i will LOVE YOU FOREVER!!!
i am having the worst time making loops and sealing the ends! :i7:

let me know what you think :i2:

brandalynn

Re: First Dreads!! (critique please :P )*PICS*

Post by brandalynn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:03 pm

If you rubberband the hair into a ponytail before backcombing, you will have a tidier loop at the top and it may make things easier for you. What method of sealing are you using? If steam, you can hold the end of the dreads with needle nose pliers to get a thin taper without burning your fingers.
"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes" --- bumper sticker---

Racher

Post by Racher » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:21 pm

thanks for the reply!
i use a wet cloth and hair straightener to seal.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:13 pm

I personally hate big loops with a passion. I just find SE's with larger loops to slip out of the hair easier than small loops when installed and don't look as nice when installed in very short hair. It's really a quick fix to just band them up or tie the hair together. The lark's head knot (like IKS does) is probably the only other option that works IMO, but the hair you use to tie the knot has to be very small. In the end, it's just a matter of finding something thick enough to create a loop (think a thick coathanger or a piece of material thick enough to create a loop, old tshirts with stretch work perfectly for this!) and backcomb right into the loop. Once sealed, you should have a perfect loop. Sure it's small, but it looks invisible in an install and much neater in falls.

On the note of your dreads, GREAT WORK! They look throughly backcombed and solid, but it looks like you didn't use enough hair on some. Don't be scared to use more hair! Keep going and take the loop advice too :)

mandikat

Post by mandikat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:07 pm

They look good to me! can't wait to see them in a completed set!

The more you backcomb, the more control you'll have over their taper. They look pretty solid though, so it's probably not something about which you'll have to worry. :)

My favorite method for making small loops is backcombing as high up as I can get onto a kinda-thick plastic coathanger, then sealing the loop (coathanger and all - I've never had it melt on me!) in boiling water. It's my personal favorite, because it makes a teeny loop that is easy to disguise, and it doesn't go crazy sad limp when you install it.. Plus you don't have to worry about it unraveling or anything.

Seriously though, great work for a first set! Good plan, asking for a critique before they're done! The rest of them are going to have loops of steel!!
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal."
-Mister Rogers

Racher

Post by Racher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:52 pm

thanks everyone!!! yea those SE loops are a pain... i was trying all sorts of things i had seen on here and on youtube. i tried braiding and backcombing, braiding wrapping and backcombing, etc..... i guess i'll use the ol' rubber band trick until i find a good way to mk the loops without the rubber bands.

i was afraid of grabbing too much hair to make dreads, i'm not a huge fan of jumbo dreads (at least not on me). i like the smaller well tapered dreads.

i'm gonna take a look at the chart rivetlicker made for dread size.

i didn't realize the toll it takes on the wrist :i6: owww.... lol.....i think i'll stick to making accents to the dreads i buy :i9:

i'm going to try to make transitionals next.....wish me luck! :i2:

Return to “Hair Critique”