Second attempt at synth dreads!

Critical observations about your technique for installations, wear or use.
Forum rules
1. Stay on topic. Be specific and to the point.
2. Be polite. Flaming and personal attacks may result in a ban.
whorror

Second attempt at synth dreads!

Post by whorror » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:51 pm

This is my second attempt at making synths, I really want to master them as I looove them!
At first I tried the boiling sealing method, which I did twice but they were still rather loose and looked rubbish! I used this method with the first set, and looking back, they were loose and rubbish too! viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13010 Aha, and I was so proud of them too!

So having no steamer I shoved them in the washing machine to see if that would help.. but it made almost no difference. So then failing that I was looking at tutorials and found the hair straightner method, which I tried and worked almost instantly! I was so impressed! (And a little miffed I'd spent hours trying to boil seal them when it took seconds this way c;) So here they are!

Slightly lumpy from extensive boiling/tampering!
First attempt at single ended as well :)

Tell me what you think!
ⓑⓞⓝⓔⓢ ⓞⓕ ⓑⓐⓑⓨ ⓓⓞⓛⓛⓢ

Librarynerd

Re: Second attempt at synth dreads!

Post by Librarynerd » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:02 am

Pretty candy colors! Looks like you are getting the hang of it quick. I'd try a bit more backcombing especially near the loop, if you get it nice and solid you don't even have to use a rubber band:) I've sealed a lot of dreads with the flatiron method and it makes beautiful smooth hard dreads. Now I use a high powered steamer followed by a quick pass with the flat iron to seal my dreads. I find this gives the solid durability of a steam sealled core of the dread with the smooth finish of the flat iron.

:i2:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

Synful-Synthetics

Post by Synful-Synthetics » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:24 am

I agree you are doing really well so far. I also agree on the backcombing. it looks like there are some weak spots. but your tapering in really well done and they look fairly smooth. Good work :) keep posting

mandikat

Post by mandikat » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:01 pm

They look like you definitely know what you're doing on the sealing, and the colors are great...

For the record, I use the boiling THEN straightening method, and I have gotten really strong, smooth dreads that way.

I know that backcombing can be a pain (although a good backcombing comb does help immensely!http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/product ... =553477284), but it will make your dreads at LEAST 100% stronger, smoother, and better to handle the wear and tear of being installed a month or two.

You can backcomb between sealings (in fact, you can end up with much better dreads overall).. Just untwist them and backcomb, backcomb, backcomb.. You have a lot more control over the thickness of the dread (for example, if you wanted a more even taper, or if you wanted a pattern of thick/thin) when you really, REALLY backcomb.. And I know it seems like a huge bother right now, but I think you'll be REALLY happy that you rebackcombed and resealed.. The dreads will last MUCH longer and won't be nearly as itchy on your scalp.

Great sealing, though, and I really like your color pallet for both your sets of dreads! You've got a good eye!

P.S. TOTALLY up to you (your loops look uniform and clean, which is great! Just maybe a little large?), but the best way I've found to get smaller loops is to use a clothes hanger. Throw the loop around the hook part and seal around it.. You end up with much less noticeable loops once they're installed. That being said, I bet if you're a good braider, you might not even ultimately notice if the loops are a little big.
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal."
-Mister Rogers

NirvanaMarie

Post by NirvanaMarie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:25 pm

They look really good! If you like the flat iron method, you should try the iron method. I think it goes much faster!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsacIWSavwA

whorror

Post by whorror » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Oh wow thankyou so much for your replies guys! I'm going to order more synth shortly and give it another go using all your advice, I'm excited! :) Thanks again. :D
ⓑⓞⓝⓔⓢ ⓞⓕ ⓑⓐⓑⓨ ⓓⓞⓛⓛⓢ

Return to “Hair Critique”