Question for the Oz peeps

Elisha24

Question for the Oz peeps

Post by Elisha24 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:06 am

Wondering if any of the australian people on the board could help me out, I am trying to find somewhere that sells foam sheets other then having to order it in from overseas. I know Riot art sells them but they have a pityful range of colours. I am also trying to find an australian source for crin (I know there is one in sydney but I can't seem to find her details anywhere), usually I don't mind ordering it from overseas but with the current exchange rate its costing me heaps. I've found most people here are pretty tight lipped about their sources which is frustrating :(

BossyLibraryLady

Re: Question for the Oz peeps

Post by BossyLibraryLady » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:35 am

I don't know of any specific places, but keeping an eagle eye out for cheap shops, scrapbooking places and craft shops other than Riot (they are a bit pov, aren't they?) can sometimes yield results; we have a great chain of discount stores in Brissie called Choice that has a really good craft section (I got my polystyrene head there for $9.95). By entering "craft foam" site:.au into google, I found a few places online (ie oztion & sellmystuff.com.au) who sell craft foam by the sheet. Clark Rubber also mention it on their website, but I don't know if they're talking about the same thing (there were no photos).

As for crin - I haven't had any luck, either. :( Maybe it would be worth talking to millinery supply places? They would probably know it as tubular horsehair braid or something similar.

Just keep looking... it can take ages, but you often find some absolute gems along the way!

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:33 am

I've heard in Melbourne, there's a fabric store called Cleggs or something similar on Elizabeth St which sells tubular crin. However, when I went there I couldn't find anything, just extremely overpriced fabrics... perhaps they only stock it occasionally? I'm dying for a new pair of crin falls but I can't justify spending nearly $30 on one bag of the stuff because I have to buy overseas :(

I could swear I've seen foam in Spotlight once, but again the last time I went there, they didn't have it. They have stiff felt which is nice to use in falls but I want foam lol. Again I'd really hate to buy it from overseas because... well, it's foam. There must be somewhere local that sells it...
More human than human

BossyLibraryLady

Post by BossyLibraryLady » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:58 am

Cleggs are highly overrated. $26 for a small pack of roving? [Daryl Kerrigan]Tell 'em they're dreaming![/Daryl Kerrigan]

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:15 am

Riot are ok, if you want black or white A3 sized foam. A4 sheets come in most basic colours, otherwise 100% useless.
Spotlight apparently sell foam, a friend bought sheets. But it's the A4 size and it was pricey.

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:23 am

BossyLibraryLady wrote:Cleggs are highly overrated. $26 for a small pack of roving? [Daryl Kerrigan]Tell 'em they're dreaming![/Daryl Kerrigan]
Haha :lol: Yes, I agree. Even if I found it, I doubt it'd be in my price range. I mean, the leopard print fabric I saw was $70 a metre.
More human than human

BossyLibraryLady

Post by BossyLibraryLady » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:03 pm

^
Blimey! Was it made out of real leopard? :i6:

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:08 pm

BossyLibraryLady wrote:^
Blimey! Was it made out of real leopard? :i6:
You'd think so, but it was cotton!
More human than human

Elisha24

Post by Elisha24 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:22 am

Thanks everyone :)
I've tried spotlight they only sell foam in 3 packs and its a lot thinner than the Foamies brand sheets in Riot, pretty sure its more expensive and a lot less colour range too. The foam I've ordered from overseas is Foamies as well so you'd think Riot would be able to order in other colours (I've asked them before and they've been nothing but really unhelpful)
Cleggs had nothing in the way of tubular crin :(
Its so awful my last order cost me $90 for 3 bags of crin and 3 foam sheets.

Elisha24

Post by Elisha24 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:32 am

Oh and i've tried Clark Rubber, and they had absolutely nothing... not even anything close, you'd think of all people they'd be the first to stock it!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:45 am

Our exchange rate fails like that.
I've had to increase my prices <_<

Anyway, I did a huge order back in July, so it didn't cost as much as it would have today (more like $1700 instead of the $900 those few months back).

Elisha24

Post by Elisha24 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:13 pm

Ohh I could only imagine how exciting it would be to open such a huge order of crin :lol:
Ordering in bulk seems to be the best option atm, but unfortunately I only occasionally make them for friends so it's impossible to predict what colours to order :( Oh well guess we can only hope the exchange rate improves!

tazzyface

Post by tazzyface » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:59 am

Elisha24 wrote:Oh well guess we can only hope the exchange rate improves!
No such luck, it's predicted to drop to 47c mid next-year.
But then, I studied economics... Economists are like weathermen in terms of predicting things! But I'm not getting my hopes up.
More human than human

BossyLibraryLady

Post by BossyLibraryLady » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:48 am

And to think we were about to reach parity with the USD this time last year. There were so many purchases I put off because the dollar was looking so good and I thought they could wait.

Heh... do you think the bank would let me extend the mortgage to get some more hair supplies and ThinkGeek goodies? :lol:

BossyLibraryLady

Post by BossyLibraryLady » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:01 pm

Necro!

Someone on an Oz costumers' messageboard suggested that Dunlop are a good source of EVA foam and that they stock it in a large range of colours and thicknesses... it could be worth firing off an e-mail or calling your nearest branch:

http://www.dunlopfoams.com.au/Contact-Us/Default.asp

Return to “Cyberlox, Foam, Tubing & ?!@#!”