Soft wire loom?

Phoenix

Soft wire loom?

Post by Phoenix » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:43 pm

Anyone know where this is avaliable from? It's like normal corrugated tubing but more flexible like crin.

rivetlicker_

Re: Soft wire loom?

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:47 am

My old work had wires covered in double threaded crin, if that's what you're looking at?

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:40 am

Dreadviolet using it alot: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=5768

In the first photo it's the creamy material.

cyberloxshop

Post by cyberloxshop » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:49 am

I usually order it on eBay, because I don't use a lot of it because it is quite heavy and can be annoying to attach to falls! Also, it's quite expensive in some places, and you don't get an incredible colour choice. It can however, be spray painted. :D

Electrical places will sell it. Split loom tube, or conduit. Comes in various sizes too. he split stuff is flexible, but is no where near as flexi as crin....I'm not sure if anything is!! :lol:

Hope this helps!
http://www.Cyberloxshop.co.uk - Hair supplies & Cyberlox galore!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cyberloxshop - come say hi!
We love fake hair, bright colours and everything cyber! :D Oh and, lots of creating!

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:53 am

I've just split loom before but from what I can see the tubing in the photo isn't split. So I'm not sure what it is.

Nenedhel

Post by Nenedhel » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:19 pm

I was actually wondering about this to
Midnight Orchid - custom dreads and hairpieces, corsets, accessories and clothing
Folksy
Etsy
Custom corsets for only material costs? Its true, just message me for details/ order... only on HEF, you know you want one

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:58 pm

Hmm, never seen stuff like that before, I thought dreadviolet always used regular split loom. Ask her about it?

dreadviolet

Post by dreadviolet » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:10 pm

I've used both non-split, quite hard loom and split softer wire loom. The loom in the picture you linked is white wire loom bought from cypherlox and covered with lots of differnent shades of spraypaint. It is split.

Most of the other "famous" cyber falls I've made were made of very hard wire loom. It just needs to be shaped to fall nicely. Hmmm. Something I really do not miss is making these kind of falls - it was cool the first time and the second, and every time I experienced with something new, but oh dear was it lots of work! (...and all this shaping led me to study to become a designer, haha!)
Fake your hair - http://dreadviolet.com/
Dreadviolet Hair Creations & material supplies -
Dreadviolet Livejournal
Dreadviolet @ Facebook
Dreadviolet @ Google+

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:37 pm

That's the split stuff, hmm. I use the same split loom, but there's no way I can achieve that sort of shaping. Probably because I never order anything bigger than 1/4" xD

Good work!

dreadviolet

Post by dreadviolet » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:15 am

Thanks. 8-)

I don't think it's never about the material, it's about how much work you put on falls when putting them together and how much you consider the shape of a human head + base buns while making them. ;) As I've shown here, you can make even the hardest tubing fall nicely if you want to.

I think most of the cyber falls I've seen don't look natural because they're just thrown together, not really considered how will they look when actually attached to someones head.
Fake your hair - http://dreadviolet.com/
Dreadviolet Hair Creations & material supplies -
Dreadviolet Livejournal
Dreadviolet @ Facebook
Dreadviolet @ Google+

cyberloxshop

Post by cyberloxshop » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:04 pm

I use the split stuff, and it can be moulded by stretching it out and pulling it hard to make it straighter. You can also use heat which can help. Also, you can hang it up and weight it at the bottom to straighten it. Time consuming, but all the same.

I always maintain that when attaching tubing to falls that I am aware that it has to fall a certain way otherwise it'll make the falls look wonky. And who wants to wear wonky falls?! Corrugated tubing is a bit of a buggar, but once you've got to grips with it, it can fall well. When you are attaching something as thick as this tubing, you don't want to attach it to close to what the falls are mounted on, purely because it's not going to fall right when they are being worn. It is much better to attach whatever thicker materials slightly further down the fall to make them fall better.

Like in this wig, it is full of materials including the corrugated material and it falls well. Image

Further down the wig:

For longer pieces, it will curl a little but that's fine because I wanted it to fall that way. For shorter pieces, like shoulder sort of length, it needs to be really moulded and attached in the right place otherwise it'll go all over the place!

As with any material when making falls, the way you attach it is the key to how it falls. So many lox makers just pile materials on top of each other when the real key is less is actually more, especially where how the materials fall is concerned. A good thing to remember is: Make the tubing curl inwards rather than outwards, and it will always look better!

:lol:
http://www.Cyberloxshop.co.uk - Hair supplies & Cyberlox galore!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cyberloxshop - come say hi!
We love fake hair, bright colours and everything cyber! :D Oh and, lots of creating!

cypherlox

Post by cypherlox » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:01 am

Dreadviolet is totally right, and does a beautiful job! It is all about spending the time to place the ribbed tubing / split loom in a certain way so that the material falls the way it wants to fall while contouring to the shape of the falls how they will sit on the head after installed. Repeatedly branding the falls like the would over a bun to test how the material will fall before attaching really helps! You can use your fist to do this. Also making sure the base of the falls is held together strong will also allow for the falls to "fall" nicely into place after being put on.
CypherLOX.com
Visit us on Facebook!
Visit us on Myspace!
Follow us on Twitter!

Cypherlox.com - Custom Falls & Extensions, Hair Making Supplies, Hair Dye, Goggles, Fuzzy Boot Covers and more!

Return to “Cyberlox, Foam, Tubing & ?!@#!”