Curious about wig coverage

Kaminoke

Curious about wig coverage

Post by Kaminoke » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:39 pm

I already know how to make wigs, but I'm just a little curious about something.

When I make mine, I totally cover my wigs with dreads, so they look like you have a full head of extensions in. But most of the wigs I see from other sellers are just a wig with a few dreads plonked on the top, and people seem happy to pay that much for just a few dreads, rather than lots of them.

I'm just wondering what people prefer, and if I'm wasting my time making very full wigs?

sammu

Re: Curious about wig coverage

Post by sammu » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:55 pm

Mine kinda look like they're just plopped on top...

Mine are *mostly* covered in dreads. I fit, on average, about 60 on the wig, then I sew about 10 extra on to fill it out a bit more. I like my wigs to have a "undercut" type bit, too... y'know just a smallish patch of hair left loose at the nape, because I personally find the wigs sit better on my head. I also leave the fringe loose.

I love the look of your wigs so much. I WILL get one, one day. :D I suppose you could always try to make one in the style I described and compare? I'm pretty certain you should charge more for your lovely work anyway. x

Kaminoke

Post by Kaminoke » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:28 pm

Aww thanks hon :) And you can get away with it because your dreads are so huge though :lol: It was more the really sparse ones I was thinking about, and after all this time perhaps I have no idea what people really want sometimes :)

To be honest what something is worth and what people will actually pay are two very different things - that's why I don't really make wigs much, other than when I have an idea for something I want to play with.

sammu

Post by sammu » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:18 pm

Yeah. I love making wigs, but to be honest the "real money" comes from Kits. Wigs are a bit hit and miss on Ebay; I had to cut one by £25 last time and thinking about it you're not really making much profit (if one was that way inclined). The wig bases I use are £20 alone now. :i6:

I remember when Pangeaea Designs was around... her wigs were like WHOA. Then I see these cocksure Ebay sellers who just... overcharge for something that's not even Elysee Star standard... I don't know. Maybe I'm just being incredibly snobbish... but to me I'd try to make a wig worth what is charged for it.

x

dreadfullydivine

Post by dreadfullydivine » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Honestly, I prefer a wig that has the full look of extensions. I like that there is complete coverage and it doesn't look like the dreads were "plonked on top".While there have been several dreadwigs that the coverage wasn't packed full ( like Cirque's) that I have completely adored I do like the look of the complete coverage. I am willing to pay more for a wig that has complete coverage since I know how much time and effort has gone into one.
Raising the next generation of future warlords..

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:36 pm

I don't think my wigs look like the dreads are "plonked on top", and I try to evenly distribute them across the whole wig, concentrating on the top; I do dread all the wig hair, except any fringe/bangs. Personally I find people have a hard time wearing wigs that are massively full, so I attempt to keep mine on the light side, using fewer and fewer dreads as I get closer to the bottom. I hope that makes sense :/

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”