making a dread wig- hair material

plum poison

making a dread wig- hair material

Post by plum poison » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:24 pm

i can remember how to actually make the wig but i'm a little unsure of what wig to buy as i will want to be making dreads out of some of the wig hair for authenticity, i want to know whether almost any synthetic wig i buy will react to heat similarly to kanekalon, because the last thing i want is to spend money on it and find its pretty useless. Also could somebody point me in the general direction of what is an average price for a dread wig? because with a bit of practice i want to start selling them too but i'm not quite sure what i should put the asking price as.

IKickShins

Re: making a dread wig- hair material

Post by IKickShins » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:16 am

No, syntehtic wigs that aren't kanekalon will not react the same as kanekalon. The best thing to do is either buy a wig made from kk, or cut the hair off of a synthetic wig and just leave whatever loose parts you want (like the fringe). You can also thread kk onto the wig and mix that with the synth to dread it, but since the synthetic won't seal as well, the dreads won't be as solid as dreads that are made entirely from kk.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:23 am

In terms of price you need to decide what you want to earn per hour, and then work out how much your time was and add it onto the cost of the materials.

Dread wigs vary hugely in price depending on the materials used, the quality of the original wig and the methods used (and therefore the time it takes) to make one - braiding dreads onto a wig is considerably quicker for instance than taking all the hair off, adding more hair on and then dreading
telling it like it is!

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:39 pm

what i've found at the moment is that for halloween sainsburys (i see you are in the uk) are doing 2.99 'witch wigs' which have long thick hair and lots of space between the wefts to add bits on, plus they're made of kanekalon, and fairly good quality stuff at that
i bought 4 for my first attempts at dread wigs and they are really easy to use so it'll be fantastic to practise on

[Tank]

Post by [Tank] » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:29 pm

Lilinth wrote:what i've found at the moment is that for halloween sainsburys (i see you are in the uk) are doing 2.99 'witch wigs' which have long thick hair and lots of space between the wefts to add bits on, plus they're made of kanekalon, and fairly good quality stuff at that
i bought 4 for my first attempts at dread wigs and they are really easy to use so it'll be fantastic to practise on
These wigs sound amazing!
Do they just come in black? Do they have bangs?
*makes plans to visit sainsburys*
To begin with, a dog is not mad. you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I am mad.

Lilinth

Post by Lilinth » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:08 pm

they come in black with green, orange, purple, or white over the top, just enough to set a colour theme. asda also have loads of party wigs for halloween at the moment which are quite good, plus they have some fun fringes
/emmy x

absolutebrutal

Post by absolutebrutal » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:53 pm

careful with Adsa wigs though! i'm struggling to deal with one at the moment, some of the hair is ridiculous and won't seal at all!
http://thebeadmarket.bigcartel.com/ - Beads, Craft Supplies, Incense and Oils, One of a kind home made items!

Jemstar

Post by Jemstar » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:39 am

Right! I shaved my hair off as it was black and hairdresser cut it all wrong and I wanted to go white blonde for next summer so I can have blonde dreads instead and I thought to get a dreaded wig or make one myself as of course I cant put any dreads on my head or hair falls til my hair grows back. I have looked everywhere and noone really makes them or are way overpriced. Can i use japanese kanekalon wigs (ebay) to dread it backcombing and steaming style and add extra SE dreads in to fill it leavin an undreaded fringe on front :i2:

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:25 pm

I use Toyokalon wigs with Kanekalon hair--no problems! In fact, I'm a closet Toyokalon fan.

Zombiedoll

Post by Zombiedoll » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:20 am

Can anyone tell me what Japanfibre is? I was looking for wigs to dread and most of them were kanekolan blend or Japanfibre, but I'm not sure if that is the same thing as Kanekolan itself! Thanks!

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”