wigs for everyday wear

kitten_divine

wigs for everyday wear

Post by kitten_divine » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi everyone,
I've been looking for a wig for a long time because I'm experiencing thinning hair and I was wondering if there are shops that sell wigs that both look great and are suitable for everyday wear.

The wigs meant for people with hair loss really don't suit my style and I can't even find a nice long black straight wig for a decent price (and not those with those itchy cap constructions that you have with cheap wigs and it has to be really black too, not brownish)

The wigs I like (dread wigs and wigs with crazy colours) seem more suitable for like a party or something like that but I need it to be suitable for everyday wear. Do these kind of wigs even exist?

Maybe my health insurance is going to pay for a wig which means I will probably get a custom made full lace wig but in the meantime I really need a wig asap, because in a short while it will be too hot to wear a beanie everyday and I hate wearing that goddamn thing anyway :roll:

If anyone knows where to find decent straight black wigs or other wigs that suit an alternative style, please let me know :)

cherrygloom

Re: wigs for everyday wear

Post by cherrygloom » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:45 pm

I used to wear wigs on a day-to-day basis and I always used Professional Only or Cog Marc ones. I didn't find them a problem to wear for extended periods, and they come in some alternative-friendly styles too. I used to wear a black one to work because I wasn't allowed pink hair, and all my customers thought it was my real hair (which really confused them if they ever spotted me on a day off, they were convinced I was constantly re-dyeing my hair :lol: ).

I'd definitely give them a look :)

sammu

Post by sammu » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:30 pm

I 100% agree with Cherrygloom.

I had a PO wig for everyday wear and it looked realistic.

kitten_divine

Post by kitten_divine » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Really? :?
Well that's weird, I mean I've heard great things about PO wigs but I've bought one myself (a long black one they don't sell anymore) wore it for one day and it was so tangled, hands full of ''hair came out and I could throw it away. Also I thought it looked quite fake and it wasn't comfortable, it itched like crazy and felt very tight on my scalp.
Has everyone else experienced this? And could it be there is a quality difference between synthetic wigs? And is a skin top[ more comfortable?

cherrygloom

Post by cherrygloom » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:09 am

Were you wearing a wig-cap underneath? A soft cap can make all the difference. A skin-top doesn't make any difference to comfort though.

I'll agree with you on the tangling issue though, I found a good way to reduce this is to stroke shine serum on the hair.

Evil_Locks

Post by Evil_Locks » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:17 am

I recently made a dread wig for a cancer patient if you fancy a cheeky wee dread wig from me?! :D
Computers are like air-conditioning - they work fine until you open windows.

kitten_divine

Post by kitten_divine » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:17 pm

Yes I was wearing a wig cap underneath. And what do you mean by soft cap?
And I would think a skin top is much more comfortable, however I can't find a picture of the inside of a skin top wig anywhere and I already googles my ass off :P
But it's a cap construction made of latex right?
And I sprayed the wig with silicone spray trying to save it but after it dried it only tangled more (silicone is the same thing as in shine spray, well sort off)

And Evil_Locks, can you perhaps tell me a bit more about it? I mean, what was different about that wig compared to other dread wigs?

Evil_Locks

Post by Evil_Locks » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:46 pm

kitten_divine wrote: And Evil_Locks, can you perhaps tell me a bit more about it? I mean, what was different about that wig compared to other dread wigs?
Well, i used a mono-filament wig and attached extra dreads to it using weaving thread, instead of cable ties etc.

The wig had a skin cap and the inside was pretty much thin strips of lace, spaced about 1" apart and the wefts were sewn onto the lace.

A bit like this one.

Computers are like air-conditioning - they work fine until you open windows.

cherrygloom

Post by cherrygloom » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:06 am

What I meant by 'soft cap' was just a soft wig cap, like a do-rag sort of affair. This cushions your head from any itchies from the wig. Have you tried adjusting the straps inside the wig to fit your head? The bra-strap-like thingers inside can be re-hooked to different positions to fit different head sizes.

I have no idea what you sprayed on the wig but I would recommend washing it off if it's making it tangle more! The serum I'm talking about is the kind that comes in a little pump bottle, that makes your hands really slippery. This helps the hairs slide off each other rather than tangling.

HairDiva

Post by HairDiva » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:29 am

Have you tried full lace wigs. A lot of my customers have hair problem and buy my wigs.....no complaints. These wigs can last for 4-6 weeks on the head before needing reattachment. They are all the rage..........try it out, you will be pleasantly surprise.

liposuctionguide

Post by liposuctionguide » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:15 am

I think the human hair wigs from Vogue Wigs are made of 100 percent of the healthiest human hair. Once you have purchased one, you take good care of it to make it last long.

Sugarstep

Post by Sugarstep » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:25 pm

Sepia also makes nice looking wigs. :)
To add sugar to every step one sparkly and interesting adornment at a time... http://sugarstep.etsy.com

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”