Relaxing Curls on a Synthetic Wig?

Gromidez

Relaxing Curls on a Synthetic Wig?

Post by Gromidez » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:01 pm

I got this awesome wig for one of my costumes this year and it's super duper curly. The intensity of the curl not only makes the wig shorter than I'd like, but it's just a bit too curly for the costume I need it for. I've read a lot of tutorials that say to use hot water, etc, but from what I know that will PERMANENTLY take the curl out. I don't necessarily want to do that if it can be avoided. I may want the super curl later. Any suggestions on how to relax the curls, not completely, in a non-permanent manner?

This is the wig I got:

And this is the character I am portraying, so getting the hair as close to this style is ideal:

Synthetik Ecstasy

Re: Relaxing Curls on a Synthetic Wig?

Post by Synthetik Ecstasy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:02 am

I don't really work with synthetic wigs so this information may not work..

How about you try dampening the wig with plain water and then setting the hair using medium sized rollers? Spray a little setting lotion on and then let it dry/put it under a dryer that's not too hot?

I should imagine the style will revert when the wig gets wet again. If this works, let me know x

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:26 pm

I bought a wig recently that was a bit too curly for my liking, and i hung it up in the bathroom while i took a long steamy shower and the curls dropped a bit. So maybe try that or very lightly steam it.

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:07 pm

iddylove wrote:I bought a wig recently that was a bit too curly for my liking, and i hung it up in the bathroom while i took a long steamy shower and the curls dropped a bit. So maybe try that or very lightly steam it.
Wouldn't steaming it be akin to warm/hot water which sets it permanently?

strandzofadiva

Post by strandzofadiva » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:25 pm

The Tip: Finger combing with children's hair detangler

For traditional synthetic fibers, Spritz a bit of children’s hair detangler on your wig and finger comb your curls. Simply run your fingers from the crown to the ends.

Start at the back of your wig, with the area that will sit closest to your neck and apply the hair detangler and run your fingers through and wait, you should be able to determine the amount of spray you need to apply in order to achieve the loose curl pattern you want.

Resetting the curl pattern to its former state on traditional synthetic hair is virtually impossible, however new heat friendly synthetic fibers allows one more styling versatility. I hope you find this useful! Visit my blog for more information on heat friendly synthetic fibers and why many avid alternative hair wearing folks love it www.strandzofadiva.wordpress.com
Thanks for reading

Gromidez

Post by Gromidez » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks for the tip! I will try it out :)

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”