Weft positioning in wigs & pieces? (and some KK advice)

MadamGutterTrash

Weft positioning in wigs & pieces? (and some KK advice)

Post by MadamGutterTrash » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:26 am

Hi Guys! It's been a while!

Basically, at TAFE (kind of like university, but more hands on, if you didn't know) we're doing masks (I study costuming) and I am making this mask for my boyfriend:

The mask part is relatively easy, but I am building the hair into the mask. The mask is being attached to a skull cap (like a wig cap but made out of hat felt and fitted very tightly) and I was going to attach the wefts to this. Basically, it's going to be similar to making a wig, unfortunately... I've never done that :i7:

What I was wondering is if any of you ladies have any diagrams showing how to position the wefts for the best coverage and also how to do the top wefts so that they aren't too obvious (I think I read something about doing a small circle of weft?) I'd be forever grateful!

The other thing, is ordering the KK, I'm thinking I'll use some jumbo braid, make it into wefts and straighten it a little for the right texture, but I'm not entirely certain what colour/how much to use? I'm thinking something like amber for the colour (I have some dark brown/amber tips KK and the amber looks about right) and I was going to use the full length, but I'm not entirely sure how many bags I'll need... any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any information!
Sacha

Couture_Coiffure

Re: Weft positioning in wigs & pieces? (and some KK advice)

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:03 am

When laying the wefts, you want to start at the bottom and go horizontally from one side to the next leaving about 1/4 inch of space between each layer.

When you reach the crown area [otherwise known as the top of the ears] it is best to start laying the weft in a more C-shape or horse shoe pattern so that they are curving towards the front. Eventually you lay them in a complete circle and just keep going until you have no more space.

If you are using a mask, you might not have to worry about the closure, which can be the hardest part and takes some practice. The cool thing about using bonding glue is that you can always change your mind and re-position the weft.

One more thing - in using a wig cap, you should make the wig on the person's head, so that there is the right amount of stretch to the finished product. Otherwise you will wind up with something that is too small. Protect their hair with a plastic bag or shower cap, and allow a couple of hours for the glue to set completely. You can speed the process up with a hair dryer on a low but warm setting.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”