Fake fringes with full head of dread

Loric

Fake fringes with full head of dread

Post by Loric » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:41 am

i was wondering how (if possible) to attach a fake fringe after installing dreads? All the tutorials on fringes are people with falls clipping them to their natural hair once its pulled back and then covering it. Is it possible to install a full head of dreads then attach a fringe? I've never used a fringe before so am confused as to where it would be attached? Sorry if its on the wrong place but its my first real post :-). Any pics to illustrate would be really helpful. Thanks.

VixenSingsBlack

Re: Fake fringes with full head of dread

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:00 am

This is the right place, m'dear. I do as many others--leave out a bit of natural hair and clip to that. If you don't want that, there is another way, but I may be VERY bad at explaining it.

1 Attach the bangs to a clear piece of thin, flat rubber/silicone to hold the fringe in place by wrapping around your haed. This stuff is available as bra strap material at most serious Fabric/Sewing stores, and it can be easily hidden by dreads.

2 (this is the hard one) Normally a fringe's wefting must be covered because the hair is left to hang straight down from the wefting. BUT if you take the hair and fold it over the wefting, set it there with heat/product then the wefting will be hidden. My horrible illustration follows. Imagine the pic below as viewing the fringe lying flat on a table from the side.

Was that at all helpful?

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:10 am

Picture version:

Normal fringe

Folded fringe. I don't have my flat iron in my office so I just held it in place with my hands, but ideally you'd want to do it nice and straight, up close to the sewn part.

Also, wow, my faux-distressed desk looks like it's covered in crumbs. I promise, I don't make hair in filth. It's just the wood! :P
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:33 am

Aha, pictures MUCH better.

Loric

Post by Loric » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks ladies that really helps a lot and i love the bra strap idea lol

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:08 pm

Ceri glued hers to her head, IDK if it'd b any good to you, it's on http://quinnster.fqdn.net/ under "other" just scroll down to the part below foam & crin.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

xdnyhair

Post by xdnyhair » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:31 pm

ikickshins wrote:Picture version:

Normal fringe

Folded fringe. I don't have my flat iron in my office so I just held it in place with my hands, but ideally you'd want to do it nice and straight, up close to the sewn part.

Also, wow, my faux-distressed desk looks like it's covered in crumbs. I promise, I don't make hair in filth. It's just the wood! :P
Can you go over how you use your flat iron to do this? I've been attempting to flatten my wefts like this for ages but I can't get it to work... I either burn my hands or the hair doesn't fold over like I want it to...

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:28 am

xdnyhair wrote:
ikickshins wrote:Picture version:

Normal fringe

Can you go over how you use your flat iron to do this? I've been attempting to flatten my wefts like this for ages but I can't get it to work... I either burn my hands or the hair doesn't fold over like I want it to...
I wonder if an actual iron would work better? Same concept--hot metal.

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”