Semi Permanent Wigs

Noodles!

Semi Permanent Wigs

Post by Noodles! » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:05 pm

I'm currently at that annoying 'growing-out-short-hair' stage and recently saw a link for this wig salon, local to me:

http://www.wigsbrighton.co.uk

It is my understanding that they fit both synthetic and human wigs, they say they have a 'unique fitting' system. I get the impression that they are semi permanent?

So how do these semi permanent wigs work? Are they sewn or glued in? Would they last for a long time?

Also I appreciate that this service is often used by women who suffer from hair loss, would it be possible for this to work on me when I have three inches of hair?
x Peace Love Unity Respect x

toxic trish

Re: Semi Permanent Wigs

Post by toxic trish » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:22 am

I don’t no if this is of any use, but my teacher had a wig fitted and basically it was a mesh that was glued to her head and her hair was pulled through this and then wefts were glued on to this mesh up to the top and then she had a top piece so that she could part it any way she wanted. So I would assume that it would be all glued and made around your specific head iykwim? Hope this helps

Sorry for spelling etc I am tired :(
warning this post may/will contain bad spelling and lots of grammatical error's

well its shocking I AM MALE

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:55 am

I think what they are is lace front wigs. They are gorgeous but usually very expensive. They give you an incredible natural hairline, Beyonce wears them constantly. Check out Youtube they have some great vids of how to put on lace front wigs.\

:i2:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

guest123

Post by guest123 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:30 am

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:54 am

Librarynerd wrote:I think what they are is lace front wigs. They are gorgeous but usually very expensive. They give you an incredible natural hairline, Beyonce wears them constantly. Check out Youtube they have some great vids of how to put on lace front wigs.\

:i2:
O/T Sherri Shepherd from The View also wears them too :) You should see her natural hair! It's uber curly.

Noodles!

Post by Noodles! » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:31 am

Yes, alot of celebrities wear wigs; Jessica Simpson, Ashley Tisdale, Tyra Banks, Beyonce, Kristen Stewart (that's just who I can remember, i'm sure there are a lot more!)
stinamoo wrote:Librarynerd mentioned lace wigs - I have a few of these, they are glued on at the hairline and can look really natural. Toxic trish described a 'topper' often used by women suffering from androgenetic alopecia, which is hormonal thinning.

Ask me more questions, I love wigs and both me and my sister have hair loss so we've been through the lot!
Thanks! I saw your show off a little while back with the HH wig and it looked amazing.

Now for my flurry of questions! Apologies! :lol:

1. If the wig is applied with glue, how long does the adhesive remain intact or do you have to take it off after a certain amount of time? How is the wig removed?

2. Is the glue damaging to your actual hair underneath?

3. How short does your hair have to be for the wig to sit comfortably?

4. How does your hair cope underneath the wig, for example does it get uncomfortable being unable to breathe/ not getting washed regularly etc.

5. How durable are the wigs? For example if I do a few sports in my spare time, would the wig hold up?

6. Do you know of any tutorials on applying wigs?

guest123

Post by guest123 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:08 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guest123

Post by guest123 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:23 pm

*deleted*

Noodles!

Post by Noodles! » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:31 pm

Thank you SO much Stina, you've been such a big help! :D

For the sake of being able to do updos, I think i'm going with the full lace wig. What can I expect to pay for a decent human hair one? Also, how often do you have to wash the actual wig itself?

Aaaaand last but not least, do you have any recommendations for sites that sell full lace wigs?

guest123

Post by guest123 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:15 pm

*deleted*

Noodles!

Post by Noodles! » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:40 pm

Don't apologise, you've been so helpful!

You are right in thinking i'd like straight hair with very pale lace, my skin is pretty much the palest of the pale.

I'm being a complete noob at this; I'm trying to Ebay for full lace, and front and back lace wigs, but am only having luck finding front lace wigs. I have found this site but the price tags are pretty high.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-Remy-Human-Ha ... 92af90c0d8

I would quite like something like this but with a side swept fringe, as I am a bit conscious of the lack of bangs making it quite obvious, as I don't know how good my first 'fitting' will be.

If you could give me links for the UK/ US sellers I would really appreciate it, I also wouldn't mind having a nose at some Chinese wholesalers; do the later sell wigs individually then?

Thanks!

guest123

Post by guest123 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:14 am

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black-Sunshine

Post by Black-Sunshine » Fri May 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Does anyone have any links to get a semi-permanent wig like this? My friend is specifically looking for a white/silver one
http://www.blacksunshineiow.etsy.com Handmade Dreads, hair bows, necklaces, bags & more!

http://www.blacksunshineiow.com

strandzofadiva

Post by strandzofadiva » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:38 pm

1. If the wig is applied with glue, how long does the adhesive remain intact or do you have to take it off after a certain amount of time? How is the wig removed?

Lace fronts are designed to be glued to the forehead area only, depending on your perspiration and natural oil levels the glue used could last a full week. Full head lace wigs require the use of various adhesives you decide the holding strength and then apply this could hold for several weeks for some longer again depending on your perspiration level and scalp oil production. Applied properly these wigs can be worn while shampooing and swimming. There is citrus based solvent that enables you to release the unit when you are ready. When wearing wigs I always stress never neglect your natural hair and/or scalp.

2. Is the glue damaging to your actual hair underneath?

On my blog I have a post that addresses one glue in particular, used quite often to secure extensions. This glue is made of latex; some have sensitivity to latex and would want to avoid that all together. While lace wig adhesive and glues range from mild to super hold it would be a good rule to test for sensitivity. Most persons experiencing no natural hair present will opt to use glues, adhesives etc. to secure a full lace wig whereas a person with natural hair present would do good to forgo this. Glue is going to conceal the follicles along with the actual wig and cause a smothering; damage is inevitable especially if worn for an extended period of time.

3. How short does your hair have to be for the wig to sit comfortably?

Short hair is not a perquisite for wig wearing, done properly persons with long hair can wear wigs easily. No doubt short hair affords you easier application providing you select the correct wig cap size. If the cap is too big the wig won’t sit comfortably

4. How does your hair cope underneath the wig, for example does it get uncomfortable being unable to breathe/ not getting washed regularly etc.

Wearing a regular wig that you would wear like a cap, putting it on and pulling it off at your desecration is an excellent way to rest your hair because it affords you the opportunity to treat your natural hair if you have experienced damage due to bleaching. If you do a lace front where it is concealed with glue in the forehead/hair line area, and the body of the wig is made with wefts wearing this unit won’t affect your natural hair. The weft design provides ventilation. You could lift the wig from behind and wash and condition your own hair, paying special attention not to wet the glued on area. If you glue the front and tack ( sew) the rest of the wig to your natural hair in the back a week out won’t cause damage. While wearing unit It will be a challenge to dry your natural hair and wig properly after washing and your perspiration level will determine comfort as well as scalp condition as pertains to dryness and itching. There are always things you can do to prep your scalp and natural hair before wearing a wig that will help your experience be a better one

5. How durable are the wigs? For example if I do a few sports in my spare time, would the wig hold up?

Wig durability depends on several factors: The quality of the material from which it is made. How you handle the unit when you sleep. Cotton pillowcases are not wig friendly. Length: shorter wigs can be more durable than longer ones. Perspiration and motion at the back of the neck with longer wigs will present you with the most challenge

6. Do you know of any tutorials on applying wigs?

Visit my blog for lots of tips on the art of wearing alternative hair. Thanks
www.strandzofadiva.wordpress.com

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”