Best way to go about dying a Kanekalon wig?

cupcate

Best way to go about dying a Kanekalon wig?

Post by cupcate » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:37 pm

I am looking into getting a Kanekalon wig in white. Similar to either these three

and dying it for them to look similar to this..
Just with less pink, more white and a bit more light blue.

Any ideas on best route?

guest123

Re: Best way to go about dying a Kanekalon wig?

Post by guest123 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:54 pm

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cupcate

Post by cupcate » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Yeah I had read you can't use hair dye, but I had seen people use clothing dye and sharpies and alcohol to dye wigs. I didn't know what would be best or what would be an urban myth, didn't want to buy a wig and ruin it lol.
The wigs I am looking at buying are listed as cosplay ones, made out of kanekalon or "high heat resistant"
These good?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aied-White-Short- ... 3392wt_905
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LONG-Blonde-wave- ... 2431wt_960

sorry I am such a newb to this lol

EDIT:

I forgot to say. I was wanting a 3/4 wig initially. Would there be a way to make a full head wig into a 3/4 by cutting the front off it, sewing it and adding clips?

guest123

Post by guest123 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:06 am

*deleted*
Last edited by guest123 on Sat May 09, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:45 pm

I've done the sharpies/alcohol to "dye" kanekalon... It's a freaking mess and wasn't particularly worth it in the end. I'm not saying don't try it, because you may really enjoy the process, but not me. If I were after that wig I'd just glue/sew in wefts in the colors I'd like.

cupcate

Post by cupcate » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:40 pm

stinamoo wrote:Those look alright, it depends what you want to use them for - just wear once, wear occasionally, or full time?

You can make a full wig into a 3/4 wig using the method you describe on most wigs, but you may have to sew a piece of fabric round the new hairline to hold it together.
It would be an occasionally thing. I went for a cheap one to just have a go at. I didn't want to pay loads on a one that I will be experimenting on. The next I get (If I get the hang will be more expensive)
I have seen a few tutorials and many seem to stitch it straight to a hair band. See what its like once I get my hands on it :)
VixenSingsBlack wrote:I've done the sharpies/alcohol to "dye" kanekalon... It's a freaking mess and wasn't particularly worth it in the end. I'm not saying don't try it, because you may really enjoy the process, but not me. If I were after that wig I'd just glue/sew in wefts in the colors I'd like.
Thanks Vixen :) I thought it would be a pain (Thus the cheap wig) so I was going to experiment a bit. I am wanting a shorter wig and my plan was going to be to cut it and use the off cuts as tester pieces for sharpies and fabric dye attempts. Failing them I will sew the wefts in :)

I was told today, depending on how its made I could strip the wefts off and build up my own wig using coloured wefts, its own and some other in for good measure. Or buy a better wig and use them as coloured sections for it.

I initially wanted to use extensions but my hair is rediculously short. So this wig was going to be a go between during the shitty regrowth period for nights out. At work I tie a hairband around my head.

LevanaMalum

Post by LevanaMalum » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:49 am

Speedball acrylic based ink, you can find tons of tutorials on how it's done and speedball ink comes it tons of colors and tones. Good luck! :)

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”