Best way to anchor a crown in a wig?

pamplemusique

Best way to anchor a crown in a wig?

Post by pamplemusique » Mon May 24, 2010 2:39 pm

I'm working on a princess peach costume for an upcoming event. Most of the work is going into the dress, since the blonde, layered wig I ordered is basically ready to go as is, I just need to add a crown.

I have a small plastic crown that I want to somehow anchor in the wig. It's about 3 inches in diameter, so it's not meant to go around my head. In the absence of other suggetions, I'm just going to sew it on, wrapping the thread around the base of the crown. Does anyone have suggestions for better ways to make sure the crown stays in place? I need it to stand up to hours of dancing and bopping around, so the more secure the better ;-).

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Miss Liberty

Re: Best way to anchor a crown in a wig?

Post by Miss Liberty » Mon May 24, 2010 3:07 pm

I would see if it is possible to mount in onto a plactic headband and wear it that way. It would help keep both crown AND wig in place.

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Mon May 24, 2010 5:04 pm

Mario Party, eh? :)

When I had to keep my skull mask on top of my wig last CB for my Nel costume, I put holes in the mask and threaded strong elastic through the mesh of the wig in a few places and tied it underneath. It didn't budge all night and it was probably a lot heavier than your crown. Good luck!

pamplemusique

Post by pamplemusique » Mon May 24, 2010 5:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll go with the strong elastic route and make sure I get the elastic secured through the mesh of the wig. Peach wears her crown somewhat far back on her head, so I don't think the headband approach will work this time. I'll keep it in mind for the future though!

I'll post a pic when it's all done.

tammy123

Post by tammy123 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Miss Liberty wrote:I would see if it is possible to mount in onto a plactic headband and wear it that way. It would help keep both crown AND wig in place.
I think this can be the better option else, you can get some advice from experts who will suggest you something that can be more beneficial with respect to your hair problem.

Thanks

scarlet

Post by scarlet » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:19 pm

I've had to anchor crowns in before, including on dread wigs, and I always use a headband attachment. It works pretty well, even at weird angles since the wig has a tendency to distort actual head shape.

If it's super lightweight, you could use 3 toupee clips attached to the bottom. I've had a lot of luck with that method and mini-tophats! :D

Good luck!
Formerly "atastic" on the old HH boards! :D

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”