Does this sound about right?

rikkimuffin

Does this sound about right?

Post by rikkimuffin » Sat May 08, 2010 2:29 am

So I've asked my friend to make me a wig for my miku costume since i am not confident in my own skill or how I would go about doing it. She quoted me for $100 and when I asked if she could bring down the price at all, she said that if i bought the hair and dyed it myself she could lower the price to $80.
Is this reasonable? If i buy the materials and dye it myself, I'm really just paying her to sew wefts and assemble everything. Miku's wig does require a lot of hair and the falls are pretty long, but I still feel like she is over charging. I don't have the time to order a wig online (and I'm not too fond of them anyway) but if I did it would cost me less than $50 plus shipping.
So, what do you think? If you were custom making a wig such as this, how much would you charge and what would that be based on?
for reference, the wig will be something like this, with the hair separated for ponytails in the back:

rikkimuffin

Re: Does this sound about right?

Post by rikkimuffin » Sat May 08, 2010 2:31 am

This is all in Canadian dollars, if that makes a difference.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sat May 08, 2010 5:57 am

I think $100 is an extremely good price for a wig like that. Not only will she need to sew in the wefts and cut it, but she'll also have to make the part in the back (either with caulk and bulk hair or more wefts). That's time-consuming, and when you pay someone to make a wig for you, you're paying for both the materials *and* the labor.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

..::AtomicLox::..

Post by ..::AtomicLox::.. » Sat May 08, 2010 6:03 am

If I had any idea how to make fantastic wigs like that, I would probably charge a lot more, I think you're actually getting a pretty sweet deal. :i9: Most wigs available to order online are made by machines in five minutes in some dank factory somewhere. The actual art of wig making by hand is a tedious task and an acquired skill. Gotta pay for quality, baby!

BossyLibraryLady

Post by BossyLibraryLady » Sat May 08, 2010 10:32 am

Definitely a sweet deal. Modifying an existing wig is fiddly enough... I can't imagine how tricky it would be to make one from scratch.

rikkimuffin

Post by rikkimuffin » Sat May 08, 2010 3:00 pm

thanks for the input ladies. ^-^

I think I'll try to adjust the price a little because I've already bought the dye and hair, so I will just subtract that from the $100. I am keeping in mind that she isn't a professional wig maker, and I'm not even sure she has made a custom wig before. We are both students in highschool, so dishing out $100 for something is quite substantial since I only make minimum wage.

Couture_Coiffure

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Sat May 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Would have to agree that the price seems fair, even tho you have purchased some supplies.

From wig-making experience, I would base my price on cost of materials, which varies depending on the type of hair you are using.

For example, THIS WIG was made from five packs of synthetic hair extensions and a weaving cap, the total of which is $55. Whereas THIS WIG was made from human hair extensions, some of which are hand dyed, and a weaving cap. The total investment is around $80.

It also does take time to make a wig from scratch, particularly if you lack experience.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:53 pm

I agree that the price sounds reasonable assuming she is able to make the wig. I know you have already bought the hair but if you hadn't my advice would have been that for 20dollars difference it wasn't really worth it. The sort of wigs oyu buy online are ok, but are not going to compare with a handmade wig
telling it like it is!

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”