Filling in underside of wig for a pony tail

pamplemusique

Filling in underside of wig for a pony tail

Post by pamplemusique » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:31 pm

When pulling up wig hair for a ponytail, the thin underside of the wig is exposed. Does anyone have a preferred strategy for filling in this part of the wig to make it as realistic as possible?

Right now, my strategy is to create wefts by painting the end of a section of silky KK with clear drying adhesive caulk. Then I'm using caulk to attach to the underside of the wig. I'm also generally leaving one row of hair out of the ponytail when I do this and putting the filler weft behind the last row to help cover up the area where the weft is glued in.

This strategy is working ok so far, but I'm concerned that the wefts won't hold up very well. It also causes some problems when it comes to getting the wig on, as now the mesh on the edges of the wig is glued solid. I will probably have to install some kind of wire netting on the underside of these areas so my pins have something to hold on to.

Does anyone have a tried and true method that they prefer for filling in the underside of wigs for updos? I'd love to hear what everyone else is doing so I can update my approach.

Thanks!

starlotus

Re: Filling in underside of wig for a pony tail

Post by starlotus » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:11 pm

Are you doing one ponytail or two? I only did ponytails on a wig once and it came out ok but definitely not perfect :( One word of advice I can give you is not to pull the ponytail(s) too tightly thereby altering the size of the wig. I learned this the hard way when I made the wig too small for my head and had to put in a million pins just to keep it from falling off, lol.

Good luck, definitely post pics when your'e done :)

pamplemusique

Post by pamplemusique » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks for the advice - I'll resist the urge to pull it too tight and I'll definitely post pics when I'm done.

BTW - I found this forum through some of your RO posts about it. I figure there's a lot more advice to be had here than our one Costume DIY thread. :geek:

starlotus

Post by starlotus » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:33 pm

True :) These boards are how I learned to make dreads - so much talent, good advice, and inspiration here!

iamdolleyes

Post by iamdolleyes » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:20 pm

http://www.pettingzoowigs.com/wigtutorial_parting.html

:D

i'm sure it could be adapted for a single hairline, and not a double piggytail
i like my coffee black
just like my metal

Return to “Wigs & Pieces”