Fluffy roving

equusargentum

Fluffy roving

Post by equusargentum » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:28 pm

I bought these dreads (on the left) from Toxilox.com a few weeks ago and whilst I love their fluffiness it's worrying me that they're felting together when I wear them. They look like they're not felted. Obviously felting them properly really decreases the volume but does anyone know if these are likely to just end up a mess if I don't do anything to them?

(apologies for silly picture, dressed my sister up as me!)

LittlePinkFaery

Re: Fluffy roving

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:41 pm

they are just loosly felted- I do mine a little like this too.

BUT I don't sell DEs only falls- these will be find if not installed. If you installed them you would have issues with felting.

If you are worried, spray each one with a little hot water and re felt a little- just to firm them up without totally submersing them in hot water.

These will be absolutely fine as falls :)

linziloop

Post by linziloop » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:09 pm

They do look a little un-felted, personally i would dunk em in a good old hot bucket of soapy water and re roll them, if you find that you then don't have enough for the volume you want, perhaps buy some more wool and make your own?

They will felt up over time otherwise :(
http://www.linziloop.etsy.com, http://www.linziloop.folksy.com - dreads, accessories, graphic design, jewellery and soon - clothing! All hand made with love, in Liverpool, UK.

equusargentum

Post by equusargentum » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:14 pm

I've had a go at re-rolling one and it's just too skinny. Will try spraying with hot water for now and see how they hold up. Thanks for the advice :)

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:26 am

you should be fine, honeslty , for falls they will hold up like that they just need some 'smoothing' once in awhile :)

+Wolfie+

Post by +Wolfie+ » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:20 am

I have a pair of Toxilox dreads, but mine haven't had any issues felting to one another, I gave them a good palm rolling without water, to help the shape here and there though

Jane Doe

Post by Jane Doe » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:42 pm

I tend to agree with linziloop
If you want them to be durable, they could use tightening.
When roving dreads aren't felted enough, over time they will shed their wool.
But when made well, they should be able to really last. I have a full set that I've worn in 4 installations, for over 5 weeks at a time, and they're still looking good.
"Loosely felted" wool, means that the wool hasn't gone through the full technical process of felting.

Here's a short summary of some of the things that happens to fiber when it is felted.
First, the outer scales on the fibers lift
The fibers begin to tangle
then, the core of each fiber, coils tightly like a spring (further causing the wool to tangle)

I can see in your image that the dreads have a slight kink to them.
From my experience with felting, it looks like the dreads were only felted to the second stage.
The core of the fiber hasn't coiled tightly.

If you prefer the look of "loosely felted" dreads, that's a perfectly valid way to wear them - but expect much less durability. Also, take into consideration that the seller has used less wool to make the "loosely felted dreads".
This can be good & bad.
Bad, because if you want to tighten them yourself, they will become very skinny
Good, because they will be lighter than fully felted dreads
jungle dread on the facebooks

Return to “Roving & Wool”