Micron... whats that all about 'ay???

Squidgy

Micron... whats that all about 'ay???

Post by Squidgy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:03 pm

Has anyobne else ever wondered what Micorn means, or what the difference between micorn 21 and 24 is?
Well the wonderful Sara from Sara's texture crafts kindly explained to me so i thought i would share:
Generally for easy and feltmaking you are looking for a micron close to Merino 64's (21 micron)... so a low micron number is usually good. However, just to contradict that Shetland is a much thicker fibre (and so a higher micron number) and this felts wonderfully, although with a little more work. The reason for these types of exceptions I think are due to the scaley nature of the hair/individual fibre... the more scaley it is the easier it lock together and creates felt (like afro hair makes great dreads). This fibre is often less shiney as a result. Another exception is Alpaca which has a quite low micron number, but is so shiney (hardly any scales) that it is a nightmare to felt on it's own... but can be done.

All in all I'd say avoid shiney fibres and stick to matt fibres... these have more scales (causing less light reflection, so no shine) and should be easier to felt, sticking to a low micron number should make felting quicker too.

Hope this helps you all!!!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

pixiesixx

Re: Micron... whats that all about 'ay???

Post by pixiesixx » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:10 pm

that definatly does help! ive been looking for roving online and all the numbers have just had me like :!: the whole time :]]]

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:58 pm

Glad to have helped!! :D
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:26 pm

We kind of already covered this in a pretty deep discussion: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=241

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:42 am

Apologies VSB indeed it has been covered, although I think this is a slightly different explenation... I will try harder from now on to ensure topics are not re-covered!!! :oops:

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:58 am

No biggie! Please add your info over there to further understanding in case some1 checks that thread.

Return to “Roving & Wool”