Shiny/Metallic/Glittery Roving?

Amelia_G

Shiny/Metallic/Glittery Roving?

Post by Amelia_G » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:58 pm

I have some light grey roving, to go in a black/grey set. I'd like to somehow make the roving 'shiny', so it's more of a black and steel effect than just grey. I'm planning on adding a few metallic accents in the form of beads and tubing, but has anyone got any ideas on making the roving itself more metallic?

It's unfelted as yet, so my first thought was to use some sort of glitter or metallic powder during felting. Has anyone tried this? And if so, did the metallic element stay put? The roving will be installed, rather than a hairpiece, and I have images of leaving a glittery trail in my path ¬_¬

Any other ideas would be fab too :)

LittlePinkFaery

Re: Shiny/Metallic/Glittery Roving?

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:02 pm

sure you can do that, I add it to the water as I felt.

You can add the glitter as you roll aswell. it will eventually fade and the glitter on the suface will come off, but it will take a while.

Something else I have done is to get a glitter glue stick and run it over the finished dread, if you don't mind it drying on the dread 'crunchy' if that makes sense!

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:19 am

Also, you could actually felt bits of shiny fabric in with the wool. Pop over to this thread to see a felted bracelet with lace felted into the wool viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5289. I'm sure this same thing could be done by felting shiny fabric bits into your dreads. The perfect fabric which comes to my mind is some shiny silver netting I wore in my Candy Cane hair (pic reference below). I *think* needle felting in combo with wet felting would be best--but I am no super duper felt expert.

See the shiny silver bits on the left?

Also, you could probably run some silver fabric paint over the dread when it's done. Fabric paint has the ability to stretch some, so it isn't as crunch as others. Good luck with it!

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:05 am

ooh I have just remembered there is a candy floss type material that you can buy in craft shops, it is like a mass of glittery colourful threads.

You could felt this in or use it for what it is intended which is to use heat on it and it sets hard ( hairdryer would work) you could wrap round the dread to form glittery cuffs :)

Jane Doe

Post by Jane Doe » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:37 am

littlepinkfaery wrote:ooh I have just remembered there is a candy floss type material that you can buy 8in craft shops, it is like a mass of glittery colourful threads.
If you're feeling handy, you could wet-felt those glittery threads into your woollen dreads while making them.
It'll take a careful hand, but it's possible. You can't felt the synthetic fibers alone, but felting it with wool will work.
jungle dread on the facebooks

Amelia_G

Post by Amelia_G » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:00 pm

Ace, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have a peer around my local craft stores and see what I can pick up. :D

xalternmommyx

Post by xalternmommyx » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:12 pm

i dont know if this would work nicely but a while back i bought glitter fabric paint that came in a spray can, i figure you could use that after you have made them, although it might make them stiff for a little while. i bought it at ac moore or micheals.

zeara

Post by zeara » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:14 pm

The shiny fiber is called Angelina and it's totally gorgeous. It comes in iridescent, holographic or metallic.
"All my friends are murder
Hey, all my bones no marrows in
All these fiends want teenage meat
All my friends are murderers."

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:34 pm

I was planning on getting some of this to mix with my wool one of these times for the shimmer I believe you are looking for.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SILVER-BLENDING-GLI ... .m14.l1262
he has it in a ton of colors... Some of it says heat bondable angelina others just say glitz

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:04 pm

That's the stuff! MoosieFeltFelt made me a wee scarf with some of the glitz felted into it--it's AMAZING! Looks like it felted in quite nicely really. It'd take a few practice runs, but should be easy once you've got the technique down :)

zeara

Post by zeara » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:59 pm

I ordered some Angelina on ebay, i'll let you guys know how it goes felting it with merino.

Stilldawn

Post by Stilldawn » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:45 am

I cant wait to hear how you did it and see how it turns out, I have been wanting to get some for some time now.

zeara

Post by zeara » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:24 am

I think it might work well in synth dreads too, since most Angelina is heat bondable. It could be added when twisting the dreads before sealing maybe. I dont make synth dreads though, so i dont really know.

Jane Doe

Post by Jane Doe » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:39 am

zeara wrote:I think it might work well in synth dreads too, since most Angelina is heat bondable. It could be added when twisting the dreads before sealing maybe. I dont make synth dreads though, so i dont really know.
Hey, that's so true!
Makers could create shiny tips etc using it.

Gotta love Angelina
jungle dread on the facebooks

zeara

Post by zeara » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:58 pm

Well i did it. Felting with Angelina, is somewhat difficult as the angelina tends to clump together and since it doesnt felt you end up with a dread with clumps of shiny fiber sticking out out of it. The best method i found was to make a dread in the usual manner but make it thinner than you want it to turn out. Then take a piece of roving and stretch it very thin, place some angelina on top of the roving and then put the dread on top of that, roll it up and felt it (sort of like this method viewtopic.php?f=65&t=153). I only got a few that worked out well. Keep in mind that these pics are from after i had dyed the dreads, installed them once and refelted them. Silly rose forgot to take pics before installing.

This one is not as good:
Last edited by zeara on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:31 am

Thanks for sharing your awesome pics! If you find a really reliable way of making this happen, maybe you could add it to the Tutorials section :)

zeara

Post by zeara » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:56 am

I'm thinking of using my left over roving to make a short spiky purple set, when i do i'll try to remember my camera so i can make a tutorial of how to do the angelina. I meant to do it when i made these but my boyfriend had my camera the whole time.

Return to “Roving & Wool”