Where sells UV dyes?

Jadekestrel

Where sells UV dyes?

Post by Jadekestrel » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:02 pm

Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me on this one. I'm uk based and am trying to find different Ultra violet reactive dyes for wool roving. I'm wanting to make my first set of wool dreads, i've felted before (non dread related) and dyed wool before but i've been having trouble finding dye which will glow under uv light. I know Jaqcuard do fluorescent pink acid dye and fluorescent yellow iDye but the trouble is i'd quite like to find a dye in other colours or at least something that doesn't use a washing machine in the dying process. Know of any brands in the uk or that can be shipped or any alternative methods of obtaining uv reactive colours to use in dying?

thank you kindly in advance!^^

Vicsarina

Re: Where sells UV dyes?

Post by Vicsarina » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:50 pm

You want Jaquard Acid Dyes, not the washing machine ones.

Can't help you with the colours though. Sorry. :(
Last edited by Vicsarina on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Rule Obsessor*

Monique_marion_may

Post by Monique_marion_may » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:11 pm

I know for a fact Directions orange (tangerine) is UV reactive MASSIVELY. I went to play laser fusion th eother day and gave myself away by my hair glowing yellow!

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:43 pm

It would be a bit tricky to dye wool with hair dye :P Fibres are packed tight y'know!

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:12 pm

The answer to your question is a true mystery. I've scrounged the internet and come up pretty dry. iDye has a yellow and pink I believe, but no other colors.

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:33 am

I can confirm that jacquard acid dyes hot fuchsia and kelly green are very UV reactive, and they look amazing as well... :)
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

CheyenneLeHale

Post by CheyenneLeHale » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:28 pm

Manic Panic has several colors that are suppose to glow under blacklight.

I've never dyed wool with Manic Panic, but I imagine it would work just fine, since that stuff stains EVERYTHING else that I've ever gotten it on. It just might not dye it the intended intensity.

On human hair, it works great for "glazing" and has sort of a similar effect to interference paints. For instance, a bright pink manic panic over black hair will sort of "glow" purple in direct lighting.
So, maybe dyeing with Jacquard first, and then glazing with one of the Manic Panic colors might work.

And I came across these on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GLOWING-Liquid- ... 0852153576

I haven't received mine yet, but for the price, they're totally worth it:)

Return to “Roving & Wool”