Installing dreads -- rubber bands or string?

How do you prefer to install dread extensions?

With rubber bands
90%
With string
No votes
I use rubber bands on other people, but string on myself
No votes
I use string on myself, but rubber bands on other people
No votes
Other (please note in the comments)
10%

Total votes: 10

elainevdw

Installing dreads -- rubber bands or string?

Post by elainevdw » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi everyone. :) Thanks to all the great info on this forum and posted elsewhere by you guys, I've successfully created my first set of double-ended roving dreads for Burning Man! I'm going to be installing them next weekend, and I was curious about how everyone installs their dreads.

I did a test install with three dreads that I left in for about a day to see how I liked it. I blanket stitched and secured the dreads with those little hair bands. The thing is, the rubber bands caught on everything. I'm assuming this wouldn't be such a problem if my whole head was dreaded -- the rubber wouldn't have much to catch on. But I started to wonder if it might be better to try blanket stitching with a piece of thread integrated in there so I could just tie the thread at the end, a la this website. Although it's also possible that I just got cheap rubber bands; I went to the beauty supply place and found packs of little bands that look like they're made with silicone or something, that are "guaranteed" not to break hair.

What do you think? Are bands just easier? Do they tend to break more? Would sewing thread work fine, or does it tend to slip? Is one easier to remove than the other after a few weeks?

MrsEss

Re: Installing dreads -- rubber bands or string?

Post by MrsEss » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:18 pm

I've never tried string. Some people swear by string. I guess experimentation is the best way. I've never had an issue with elastic bands. Double banding is usually best, just in case one does snap.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:19 pm

You really need a decent rubber (actually made from rubber!) band from either an afro shop or horse care supply shop.
You can get them from I Kick Shins, Doc Locks, Cypherlox etc too.
They don't cause too much damage, and they are cut much easier than thread.

diversityhair

Post by diversityhair » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:46 pm

Yeah, elastic bands are useless, but rubber bands work great i find. We stock loads of colours too so it can match the dreads...

String would be good for colour matching, but i cant see it being as secure and being more a pain to get out again.
http://www.diversityhair.co.uk - NEW SITE 20/06/11
Hair Extensions, Hairdressing and Supplies
http://twitter.com/Jenna_Diversity - Twitter for site updates and everything else
http://www.facebook.com/diversityhair - Diversity Hair facebook page for updates on products, photos etc.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:50 pm

Yeah, I meant rubber.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Return to “Roving & Wool”