skinny dreads felted enough?

LorLor

skinny dreads felted enough?

Post by LorLor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:31 am

Helllooo...

I have just finished making my latest set of dreads. In the past ive rolled and rolled and rolled my roving until its literally really hard and theres not much give in it......i have since learnt this isnt the style i like.....hard roving means i cant manipulate it much and put it up so my next set were only done in the washing machine. I clearly rushed these as they loosened up and became really fluffy in about a day! My newest ones are pencil thin. I palm rolled first, felted with boiling water/soap about 3 times. The dreads feel quite soft still and im wondering if when i put them in they are going to loosen up as my last ones did and end up really fat and fluffy?? Thing is i had planned to install today as im off to new zealand on sunday....but now im thinking shall i felt once more or have i done them enough?....ahhhh

any advice is really welcomed, thankyou!

MrsEss

Re: skinny dreads felted enough?

Post by MrsEss » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:08 pm

pull a dread width ways, if it pulls quite a bit you'll need to felt em again, if there's only a little give then they'll be fine. All roving fluffs up to a certain degree after a while.

Machine felted dreads, if you do it on a wool (cool) wash usually need 3 or 4 runs through the machine.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

LorLor

Re: skinny dreads felted enough?

Post by LorLor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:58 pm

ahh thankyou, great advice....did a bit of pulling and yepp not felted enough. boo :( would much rather well felted dreads though than being an impatient git and wacking them in too soon. back to the rolling board i go!

and yeh again another great example of me being a bit hasty...i only machine felted ONCE (terrrrible) it was a set i ended up making in 2 days and they were pants. Looked nice but no give whatsoever. All trial and error though so its a lesson i have definately learnt from.

Again, thankyou very much for the help!

Return to “Roving & Wool”