hand spun yarn as dreads?

emmyk89

hand spun yarn as dreads?

Post by emmyk89 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:59 pm

Hey guys I was wondering if hand spun (art) yarn such as these: http://www.etsy.com/shop/FibrePiratess? ... &ga_page=3 can be worn as dreads like they are?

And if so would this need to be felted first? I don't know much about roving etc and they look reallly cool for hair! How would you go about making these into wearable dreads without making much of a change to how it looks as it is?

Thanks guys :):)

MrsEss

Re: hand spun yarn as dreads?

Post by MrsEss » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:05 pm

Cut them to the desired length & install. Simples. I recommend checking out Gracey (Woolhairhabit) show offs. She inspired me to install colinette a few years ago.

I really wanna do it again!!
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

emmyk89

Post by emmyk89 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Ah right cheers :) That looks really nice! So it doesn't have to be felted to be worn? (as I thought it might fall apart?)

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:50 pm

No, spun yarn is more robust than rovings. However, if you pull it hard you can snap it. Gracey told me to run wet hands through my hair (well, wool) to take off the moulting bits, otherwise you'll shed fibres everywhere.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

emmyk89

Post by emmyk89 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Ahh right! Thanks for the info! :)

KITN

Post by KITN » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:50 am

There is also another way to get craft yarn into wearable dreads that I have been working with for a while. I try to treat it as the synthetic fibers by backbruhing, spinning and sealing with heat, but in order to get the thickness and to make sure the backbrushing will not destroy the integrity of the dread I braid the strands of yarn and backbrush that as one dread. It gives me more control over the thickness and looks pretty cool with mixing colors and spinning. To seal I dip into boiling water or put a damp rag over and seal with a hair straightener. I have had awesome results with these and they turn out very super smooth (and with natural colors they look like real dreads!)
I have also used the colinette pre-dreaded yarn like the picture there and that works out extremely well too. That stuff is very easy to braid into your hair.

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:04 pm

DreadstarMonstar wrote:Gracey told me to run wet hands through my hair (well, wool) to take off the moulting bits, otherwise you'll shed fibres everywhere.
Thanks for this!! When I had in my Xmas colinette in 2009 I shed on EVERYTHING. Now I know better!

Art yarns are totally installable! I've used colinette twice now and have been very happy with it, and I'm sure using a hand spun type would be just fine. I've thought about it myself :)

Jane Doe

Post by Jane Doe » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:36 am

Art yarn is totally different depending on the spinner.
The best rule of thumb is to simply ask the spinner who spun the yarn.
A good spinner will know exactly how they have created their yarn and how their yarn will behave without being knit.
The one you've linked to totally would act like collinette.
Those yarns are what spinners term "singles" or "thread-plied singles" but not all art yarn is spun in this way.

Some art yarn I've created in the past, was used by dreadviolet to create falls.
The yarn was corespun and slighly felted, so I knew it would hold up and be durable.
However, I did suggest knotting the tips, to keep the wrapping thread in place.

The yarn:

The falls by dreadviolet:

Go for it!
I'd love to see more art yarn being used as fakehair! :)
jungle dread on the facebooks

emmyk89

Post by emmyk89 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks for all your replies :) after I get my new set installed and take them out I think ill get some of this stuff it looks really nice :)

Oh and jungledread I recently liked ur fb page, its where I first saw this type of yarn! :)

Return to “Roving & Wool”