Little patterns on wool dreads?

`Lush

Little patterns on wool dreads?

Post by `Lush » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:43 am

I searched, but i don't really know the terminology for wool/roved dreads.

I'm still a beginner at making synth dreads with kanekalon fiber but wool dreads look SO LOVELY!

Anyways, I saw a thread here a few months back of someone who made wool dreads but they like put little patterns in the dreads? like flowers/leaves vines etc and it looked like it was IN the dread itself made with additional wool.

am i talking crazy or is this possible? I can't find the thread anymore and i can't find any tut's on it.

not that I want to do that myself i haven't even tried to felt regular dreads yet (but I want to try next payroll! :D
I am just extremely interested in learning all i can about felting dreads and i've already read about 6 pages worth of threads here.

Any suggestions/webpages/tutorial videos of anything whatso ever would be helpful.

also, is it bad to buy pre-dyed wool?
I only ask because i notice a lot of dying tuts, is that just purely for customization sake or is it better to dye them yourself for some reason i don't know about?

and again, my main question is images or tuts on how to do the little patterns in the dreads, if you know what i'm talking about.

thanks! :)
"Our Doubts are our traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt." -Shakespeare

VixenSingsBlack

Re: Little patterns on wool dreads?

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:16 am

Some people call that "dread tattoos". It's actually needle felting additional wool onto the dreadlock with a felting needle. I don't know of any dread tattoo ruts, but look up needle felting to get an idea of what's happening.

Dying: we have many dye tuts mainly for customization. Plain wool is also cheaper. ManufCturer dyed wool is totally acceptable to felt with. I hope you've checked out my Wool Newbs thread for help.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:24 am

Is this the thread you're thinking of?
http://hairextensionsforum.com/viewtopi ... =18&t=8459
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

`Lush

Post by `Lush » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:06 am

@vixen - i did read it, like 3 times. lol. thank you! and i will definitely look that up. appreciate it. :)

@ikickshins first of all i love your site i buy all my hair from you i just thought i'd let ya know. :P

and no, it wasn't that specific thread but thank you so much for showing it to me!
i think it was just a show off cause the dreads were like plant related. i just remember flowers. its been a few months since i saw it. i think the dreads were a surprise for someone on the site too. idk, they looked bad ass though. :P

thanks guys!
"Our Doubts are our traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt." -Shakespeare

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:06 am

No, it was Liz (ScarletLady)

Those are the ones she made for me. She's made others - LOADS on her MYspace. I believe she learned via watching many vids on YouTube on needle felting
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

`Lush

Post by `Lush » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:23 pm

yes those are the ones! they are so pretty. :)

I will have to try this one day. ^_^

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Glad to have been some inspiration - if you want to know more, feel free to message me - it's really not that hard... just time consuming - you need a lot of patience!
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

Return to “Roving & Wool”