Oh no, my first order and I haven't thought about pricing!

darcitananda

Oh no, my first order and I haven't thought about pricing!

Post by darcitananda » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:03 am

Hi all,
I know I'm posting an awful lot, so apologies in advance if you are sick of seeing me... Well, I have a little dilemma, I wore my dreads out a weekend or so ago and ran into an old client of mine and she wanted me to make her a custom set of wool dreads. So, of course, I'm like 'Yeah, sure, I'd loove to" but now she has actually followed through and I don't know what to charge! They will just be shoulder length, I guess i'll do about 40-50 double ended (so 80-100 effectual). I looked on Etsy and whatnot and it looks like $100-125 is about the range for 50 DE, but as I'm a beginner I was thinking maybe I should be charging less?? What did you all start out with?

MrsEss

Re: Oh no, my first order and I haven't thought about pricing!

Post by MrsEss » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:07 am

It depends on length, amount, details etc as to how much to charge - however new sellers as far as I know usually do them for just above material costs - as they're just starting out. I've been making roving dreads for 2 or 3 years now & still only charge about $60, as I know how much my roving costs & how easy they are to make (IMO) & don't see the point in charging people the earth.

I'm not a full time seller though, I do it in my spare time or when I feel like doing a special offer ($30 for 40DE's for example)
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

darcitananda

Re: Oh no, my first order and I haven't thought about pricing!

Post by darcitananda » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback. They are easy, but definitely time-consuming! I think I'd like to just have a few people buy from me from time to time to fund my hobby of making them for myself. :)

Return to “Roving & Wool”