Quick question about drying...

ScarletLady

Quick question about drying...

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:17 pm

I have searched all through this forum and can't find anything that answers my question...

I made some roving last night and left it to hang dry....it's still damp this afternoon - is that normal?

I guess it would take a while to dry but I thought it would be dryer by now...I'm just worried I'm doing something wrong as I know your washing takes loads longer to dry if you use too much detergent so I wasn't sure if I was using too much soap.

Obviously if it's normal then fair enough I was just worried about it possibly starting to rot inside and smelling funny if it stays wet so long as it's natural fibre

Any help would be fab...also do you need to wait for it to dry before felting again?
scarlet's taking over the asylum aka ladypanel

* Queen of Tangents*

hellsbells

Re: Quick question about drying...

Post by hellsbells » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:24 pm

It's totally normal, you can refelt whilst they're still damp too :)

I tend to dry mine in the airing cupboard as it's a bit quicker due to the warmth, I also drape them over coat hangers as it gives the air the opportunty to circulate x

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:19 pm

I read somewhere not to refelt whilst their damp as it can damage the fibres for the felting process. They can also go mouldy if the stay wet too long. Mine go over the radiator & are dry within a few hours
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:31 pm

Mould was what I was worried about. They were practically dry so I've re-felted all of them - I've got tons now :D

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll switch the heating on to help them dry - I'm just being a Scrooge :lol:

* Queen of Tangents*

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:08 pm

ScarletLady wrote:Mould was what I was worried about. They were practically dry so I've re-felted all of them - I've got tons now :D

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll switch the heating on to help them dry - I'm just being a Scrooge :lol:
ha! My radiators aren't always on, I just find they dry better over it. Cos I only get time to felt on a night, they stay over it all night - the 10-16" are always dry the following morning, but the longer ones take a little while longer.

mmm, rotting dreads TASTY! :lol:
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

ScarletLady

Post by ScarletLady » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:11 pm

:lol:

I know...I was panicking...they're drying nicely know tho :)

* Queen of Tangents*

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:48 pm

I do a mixture of hanging and hanging over the radiator... the only downside to the radiator is that I find the wool puffs up more, for some reason the heat seems to make it fluffier and so if I have a set all nice and thin it can thicken it up again...

Summer is always easier, I also dry them in front of a desk fan if its on for my synth dreads... anything that makes the water molecules aggitated will held them to dry.
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

Return to “Roving & Wool”