Open-ended braids

LizSherman

Open-ended braids

Post by LizSherman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:10 pm

I'm looking to do my first set of open ended braids soon, but I've gotta say I am COMPLETELY USELESS at them. I tried once before, and they all just slid out within a day.
So i'm looking for advice!
I tried Rae's method (the second one down) the first time I did them, and not only did i find the string bit near enough impossible todo on your own head, as I said, they just slid out :(
Should I boxbraid them for more stability?
How many bags of hair will I need for a full head?
What type of hair should I use? I know plastikhaar is ideal, but I don't want to spend much money in case i fluff it up so I was going to order from afrocare or buyhair...
How many sections should I do it in?
How do I seal them?
As i said, I'm entirely useless so all advice is very very much appreciated!
(Alternatively, if there is anyone near Cheltenham in the UK who can braid, tell me! ;D)

IKickShins

Re: Open-ended braids

Post by IKickShins » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:23 pm

If you're having trouble with string, you can also use rubberbands at the ends of the braids. They are a bit bulky, though, so you should use rubberbands that match the hair so they don't stand out as much. I usually do my open-ended braids with rubberbands.

Other than that I use Rae's method, but if slippage is an issue, you could boxbraid them entirely or just boxbraid at the top for an inch or two and then split into 3 strands and continue with a 3-way braid.

You should use the highest quality loose hair you can afford. Since open-ended braids have loose hair at the ends, the quality is very important. I once did them with toyokalon because I liked the curl, and they only made it through one weekend before they were completely destroyed. If Plastikhaar and other kinds of monofiber aren't an option, you can go with kanekalon silky straight, though it will require more care and might not last as long. I usually go with kk silky for my open-ended braids and they last a couple weeks before they get too annoying to take care of ;)
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

LizSherman

Post by LizSherman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:31 pm

I've gone for some KK silky straight as it's on sale at buyhair! :lol:
Thanks for your advice, I think i'm gonna boxbraid the root and then rubber band the end (got some nice strong clear ones).
Hair should come on Saturday, I'm starting to get excited!
I'm thinking if it does matt up quickly as it's only KK silky I may braid the whole way down :)
Thank you again ~<3

davendor

Post by davendor » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:22 pm

Box braiding for about 1.5inches should hold them in for about a month depending on your hair growth. Although it is very time consuming and difficult doing it on your own head. Clear rubvber bands solve everything :D
Good luck x

Return to “Braids & Twists”