Double Ended Braids?

Aemelia

Double Ended Braids?

Post by Aemelia » Fri May 01, 2009 3:32 pm

I was thinking of making some double-ended braids to use until I can start to work on some dreads. My question is, Do they sit well on the head? I've been searching for pictures with no luck. I used to wear braided extensions all the time a few years ago and thought that double-ended braids would allow me to have an easier time installing and removing them.

Couture_Coiffure

Re: Double Ended Braids?

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Wed May 06, 2009 5:59 pm

Had a search for some photos myself but don't seem to be able to find any.

I know that people have used the pre-manufactured microbraids as extensions, and I don't see why DE braids wouldn't work the same way. They would have to be of a fairly uniform size, and not too thick so that you can get them in.

And just sitting here thinking about it, the braided part of you hair might blend with the braid extension [you know, depending on color and all] and could look quite nice.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Wed May 06, 2009 9:09 pm

I have done this a few times before I worked out how to make dreads.. they do work, and look good in the hair, but take a couple of days to settle down, just as normal dreads do..
I am going to have a fish around for some pics to scan in as this was pre-digi camera time.. will post when found!!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Wed May 06, 2009 9:18 pm

I have done this a few times before I worked out how to make dreads.. they do work, and look good in the hair, but take a couple of days to settle down, just as normal dreads do..
I am going to have a fish around for some pics to scan in as this was pre-digi camera time.. will post when found!!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

Aemelia

Post by Aemelia » Thu May 07, 2009 12:21 am

Thank you for the replies.

Glad to know someone used them with good results. :D

I know it'll blend since I'll be dying my hair from dark brown to black and using black hair for one side of the DE braids. The only thing I didn't know would work is the join, but if they settle down after a few days, that's great.

Funkyrapunzels

Post by Funkyrapunzels » Sat May 23, 2009 12:42 pm

Ive done this also, when I used to work on the wards, they take a good 2-3 days to settle but look really good. I'm sure I have a pic somewhere, I'l see if i can find iit for you. xx

Aemelia

Post by Aemelia » Sun May 31, 2009 8:06 pm

Okay. Thanks. It took me a few days to start to like my braided extensions too, so a few days doesn't matter.

New question.. How many braids would I have to use for a full head of around boob length DE braids? And would 6 bags be enough? or 9? or would that make it too heavy?

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:11 pm

I guess it depends on how thick you make them - I usually wear 50 DE dreads in my hair, and that is prett heavy, if you go on the basis of making 50-60 DE braids you should have enough. I always buy extra amounts of hair than what I need just in case (especially with buyhair.co.uk as forrest gump said - you never know what your guna get, haha)
But 7-8 packets should be mreo than enough!! :D

depechemaid

Post by depechemaid » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:12 pm

I know this is an old thread but just found it and thought I could help with some pictorial evidence!:)
I have made and installed DE braids a number of times and been able to re-use them over and over:) They hold up really well and are quicker to make than dreads I find:)

Skinny ones installed:
Purples:Image

All black:Image

Chunkier ones (these were v.heavy!):
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of!

http://www.misswoowoo.tumblr.com

Aemelia

Post by Aemelia » Sat May 01, 2010 5:20 am

Thank you so much for the pictures. :D

I made falls instead, but those look so nice that I'll have to try it sometime when my hair actually matches the braids again.

Miss Liberty

Post by Miss Liberty » Sat May 01, 2010 10:54 pm

I am thinking that they may lay well if made harlequin style.

Return to “Braids & Twists”