Too short for braids?

Candied_Angel

Too short for braids?

Post by Candied_Angel » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:27 am

I have severe breakage along the sides of my head and the back of my head. The hair that's left is unrelaxed and about 1/2" if that. I've come to the conclusion that I'll be getting an undercut at the back but I still want the sides so that when I get my extensions it looks more full and my weird breakage doesn't show, expecially when the extensions are different colours.

Picturs are here:

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=11554

Is it too short to braid?
What's the shortest hair you've ever braided Jumbo/Silky into?

Couture_Coiffure

Re: Too short for braids?

Post by Couture_Coiffure » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:46 pm

Indeed it appears to be a bit short for braids. Typically, you want about 3 to 4 inches of hair for a firm hold.

Also, if the shorter hair is due to breakage, you might want to give your hair some treatments to strengthen it before you try extensions.

While I have managed to get extensions in hair that was about 1 inch long, these do not last that long and most likely cause some un-needed stress.
Angel de'Vil Designs | Website | Shop | Blog | Facebook

tazzyface

Re: Too short for braids?

Post by tazzyface » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:12 pm

Unfortunately I think your hair is too short for braids - you could probably get away with installing them in 2" long hair, but as Couture_Coiffure mentioned 3-4 inches at least is best. I also second giving your hair some treatments first. I highly recommend ApHogee myself, it has brought my hair back from the brink! Excellent stuff and it's cheap too.

I recommend that you take a look at this forum: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums
Even if you don't plan to grow your hair or relax it in the future, it has a lot of product recommendations and hair care tips for Afro-Caribbean hair. Hope this helps :)
More human than human

Return to “Braids & Twists”