Comments and suggestions

halocaustic

Re: All comments in this thread please!

Post by halocaustic » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:19 pm

himelolita wrote:I am really upset by how new users cannot buy items from this forum until 30 days and 50 posts. I do not understand how any of that would make you a more reliable buyer and seller. I think that you should be able to send a mod a link to your ebay/other sites feedback and that THIS would make you reliable, not how many posts you have made. I have gotten intolerant responses when I tried to buy things, and I just don't think that this rule is fair at all. Well, thats just my 2 cents, thanks for reading.
I sent you a message yesterday asking you to read through our rules after deleting a post.
I have just come online to delete ANOTHER advertising & promotion post from you.If you are familiar enough with the rules to be 'upset' by them, why did I just have to delete an A&P post from you? Rulebreaking after being warned about it can result in a warning and if persistent, a temporary ban.

Our selling rules are there for a good reason, because other systems haven't worked. If you don't like our A&P rules, there are many other places you can sell. This is primarily a hair community, not a marketplace. Buying and selling is a privelege for active and contributory members only.
http://www.halo-wear.co.uk
Hair extensions & customised t-shirts

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:20 pm

It's a two fold rule. One part of it is to make sure you're reliable. The other part is that this community is NOT a selling community. It is a knowledge sharing community based around fake hair. We do the 50 post/30 day rule so that every person who signs up becomes part of the community and does not just buy/trade/sell. Contributing members who ask meaningful questions and give meaningful answers is what keeps this place alive and well. So that rule exists less about being reliable, and more about sign up, join in, contribute, then you may have the privilege of buying/trading/selling.

So if you're just looking for a shop, then try another community.

miasmahair

Post by miasmahair » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:21 am

Ooh, I have an idea! I love the best of thread, maybe it would be cool to have another one where it is the best of each category/medium but people can post one photo of their favourite work by other people? They'd have to be credited and there can only be one photo of each work (so if your favourite has already posted you can post your second favourite) so it remains an interesting gallery that might be different to the self-chosen one. Cos we love the pictures!

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:12 pm

halocaustic wrote:
himelolita wrote:I am really upset by how new users cannot buy items from this forum until 30 days and 50 posts. I do not understand how any of that would make you a more reliable buyer and seller. I think that you should be able to send a mod a link to your ebay/other sites feedback and that THIS would make you reliable, not how many posts you have made. I have gotten intolerant responses when I tried to buy things, and I just don't think that this rule is fair at all. Well, thats just my 2 cents, thanks for reading.
I sent you a message yesterday asking you to read through our rules after deleting a post.
I have just come online to delete ANOTHER advertising & promotion post from you.If you are familiar enough with the rules to be 'upset' by them, why did I just have to delete an A&P post from you? Rulebreaking after being warned about it can result in a warning and if persistent, a temporary ban.

Our selling rules are there for a good reason, because other systems haven't worked. If you don't like our A&P rules, there are many other places you can sell. This is primarily a hair community, not a marketplace. Buying and selling is a privelege for active and contributory members only.

I have to add to this...consistent rule breaking can result in a perm ban.

You have already been told about this. If you do not like it, then go elsewhere.

We fully welsome people that want to be part of a community, not just here to buy and sell.

As already stated, this is not a selling forum only and we are by no means isolated in our approach to putting in a 30days and 50 posts rule.

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:13 pm

miasmahair wrote:Ooh, I have an idea! I love the best of thread, maybe it would be cool to have another one where it is the best of each category/medium but people can post one photo of their favourite work by other people? They'd have to be credited and there can only be one photo of each work (so if your favourite has already posted you can post your second favourite) so it remains an interesting gallery that might be different to the self-chosen one. Cos we love the pictures!

We have discussed this in the past and unflrutuantely it can leads to people posting photos that they have no right to post as they do not belong to them. Even though you state they should be credited, it doesn't mean the person WANTS the photo in there- if that makes sense?

sammu

Post by sammu » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:16 pm

I'm sorry for encroaching here, but 3 Moderators repeating what has already been said might actually put her off from actually being a great member of the community. I understand that Halo has had to remind her several times, but everyone else's comments just seem a bit... harsh/unnecessary? I don't know... I just think it could have been worded a bit better. :X

*crawls back into her hole* :lol:

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:50 pm

we are entitled to comment just as you are :)

I felt that I needed to add that such behaviour could result in a perm ban- so that is was clear.

and thank you for your time and effort supporting this board and all its rules and regs! :)

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:52 pm

himelolita wrote:I do not understand how any of that would make you a more reliable buyer and seller. I think that you should be able to send a mod a link to your ebay/other sites feedback and that THIS would make you reliable, not how many posts you have made.
The rule isn't in place specifically for reliability; it's also there to prevent people from signing up and only posting ads. We don't want the board overrun with spam, and the 30 day/50 post rule is one way that we combat it. 30 days will be up before you know it, and it's very easy to build up 50 posts in a forum as active as HEF, so we feel that the rule is fair to members who truly want to participate in the community :)
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:19 pm

littlepinkfaery wrote:
miasmahair wrote:Ooh, I have an idea! I love the best of thread, maybe it would be cool to have another one where it is the best of each category/medium but people can post one photo of their favourite work by other people? They'd have to be credited and there can only be one photo of each work (so if your favourite has already posted you can post your second favourite) so it remains an interesting gallery that might be different to the self-chosen one. Cos we love the pictures!

We have discussed this in the past and unflrutuantely it can leads to people posting photos that they have no right to post as they do not belong to them. Even though you state they should be credited, it doesn't mean the person WANTS the photo in there- if that makes sense?
You could have a thread where people select a photo that was posted in the gallery portion and I don't think that would be an issue...though honestly I think it would be mostly the same handful of sellers/sets that would be posted over and over. We have something like that in DTBD and the same handful of people win month after month. -_-

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:23 pm

I agree, what with peoples own gallery and the best of galleries and show off threads- is there a need for a 'personal faves' type thread?

I still worry about the photo posting issue when it is not your image.

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:28 pm

is there not an inspiration thread already somewhere anyways?
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

LittlePinkFaery

Post by LittlePinkFaery » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm

there is indeed...I guess that kinda covers it!

miasmahair

Post by miasmahair » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:08 pm

I guess it does, but I kinda meant you could pick a favourite from what's already been posted in the showoff threads. And maybe it would be cool for people who have just got into dreadmaking (ie me!) to see what others really think are the most outstanding dreads, to give us something to aim for!

VixenSingsBlack

Post by VixenSingsBlack » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:19 am

miasmahair wrote:I guess it does, but I kinda meant you could pick a favourite from what's already been posted in the showoff threads. And maybe it would be cool for people who have just got into dreadmaking (ie me!) to see what others really think are the most outstanding dreads, to give us something to aim for!
If this is really what you want, then just watch the Show Offs area carefully. Usually the threads with the most replies are the most beloved. Helps you keep track of current trends in dreads and so forth.

miasmahair

Post by miasmahair » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:10 am

*sigh* Obviously I already do. I was only thinking that a best-of gallery is more valid and might get more of the best hair if it isn't self-nominated. Galleries are awesome and people love to look at them, there are heaps of people on this board who maybe don't make their own or would be too shy to post in the current gallery. I'm just saying it would be cool to have a gallery of, say, roving dreads where there are more than 10 pictures...

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:41 am

miasmahair wrote:I guess it does, but I kinda meant you could pick a favourite from what's already been posted in the showoff threads. And maybe it would be cool for people who have just got into dreadmaking (ie me!) to see what others really think are the most outstanding dreads, to give us something to aim for!
if it's just from show off threads that you're talking about then people already have the ability to post their own "best in show" so if you like a particular person's dreads then chances are there's more of the same in their own gallery. there's also the critique thread that has been used by several new members and those new to dread making who maybe don't think they're dreads are show off ready yet.
miasmahair wrote:I'm just saying it would be cool to have a gallery of, say, roving dreads where there are more than 10 pictures...
some styles are just less popular so there's bound to be less pics of it. i love roving but synth dreads are still more popular and made by more people so there'll be more pics of that.

it's an idea that already has a solution, it just doesn't match your idea of what the solution should be.
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:16 pm

miasmahair wrote:*sigh* Obviously I already do. I was only thinking that a best-of gallery is more valid and might get more of the best hair if it isn't self-nominated. Galleries are awesome and people love to look at them, there are heaps of people on this board who maybe don't make their own or would be too shy to post in the current gallery. I'm just saying it would be cool to have a gallery of, say, roving dreads where there are more than 10 pictures...
We purposefully tried to steer away from people picking others' work because for a start we wanted to value all members, with our current system anyone can set up their own gallery and show off anything they feel is worthy. I know you aren't suggesting changing this, i am just putting some rationale.

On the ezboard there was a best of section which was chosen by moderators, again we wanted to steer clear of that. We considered voting but were concerned that some people might get their work included through coercion of others, or simply just by being a popular member regardless of their hair making skills.

Personally I don't think we need any more ways to show off things or express your opinion on something.

VSB is right, the post count on show offs will give you a good indicator of what people like. You don;t have to hang around on the show off section for long to notice which people's work people like. I can think of about 10 or so names off the top of my head that would be the current "Big 10" as it were. I don't know this info because anyone told me, just because you can tell by the number of comments, what people say, and how sincere they sound.

Regarding how new people tell what is good... We all started somewhere in knowing that! The biggest indicator is whether you like it. The galleries which have one picture by each creator only are a good starting point to the style, they have been selected as the best of each creator's work by the creator's biggest critic - themselves, can't get better than that! The reason the galleries in some sections are small is because those styles just aren't as popular at the moment, and also because we haven't been doing these galleries for very long.

You could look at the original quinnster's site for more inspiration, or maybe the old ezboard still has some active photos in the show off and best of sections.

I think your idea is nice, I just think we don't really need it, we don't want the board to get any more cluttered than it already is. Thanks for your input though :)
telling it like it is!

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Would the mods consider a best of natural dreadlocks section? I have loads of real dread show offs but, as its not fake hair, didn't post in the main show off section. I did do a mini show-off within the natural dreads section but its mainly questions over there and it could seem a bit like spamming.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:11 pm

woolhairhabit wrote:Would the mods consider a best of natural dreadlocks section? I have loads of real dread show offs but, as its not fake hair, didn't post in the main show off section. I did do a mini show-off within the natural dreads section but its mainly questions over there and it could seem a bit like spamming.
What about for cuts, colours and styles of natural hair too? :)

Pallidity

Post by Pallidity » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:59 am

VixenSingsBlack wrote:
If this is really what you want, then just watch the Show Offs area carefully. Usually the threads with the most replies are the most beloved. Helps you keep track of current trends in dreads and so forth.
That usually works, but then there's the odd thread where the OP replies to EVERY SINGLE COMMENT SEPARATELY, which ends up doubling the number of replies. -_-
rivetlicker_ wrote:
woolhairhabit wrote:Would the mods consider a best of natural dreadlocks section? I have loads of real dread show offs but, as its not fake hair, didn't post in the main show off section. I did do a mini show-off within the natural dreads section but its mainly questions over there and it could seem a bit like spamming.
What about for cuts, colours and styles of natural hair too? :)
I would really like a section for this, too, though there would probably be an issue of whether the people are posting hair on themselves that someone else did or hair they did (on themselves or someone else). I think the best of section is for what people on here create and I think it'd probably end up turning into another show off section.

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:57 am

Hiya - I asked a while ago if it is possible to change the colour chart or amend it so that there is a way of showing each colour as sub sections - I am trying to find a specific colour but with so many comments and posts within the thread it is very jumbled and confusing.

Is it possible to create / change the existing one - in my head I see it something imilar to the individual show off threads - but rather than usernames for the suject title you state the brand, the shade and or name, followed by pictures of the colour, stated whether taken in nautal light / flash, raw kk or dreaded etc.

I am aware that this is a big request but I think it would help people to understand brands better and ensure that if colours do change - eg Afrocares new sky blue - people can see when and to what colour the change has occured!!
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

OxiTrash

Post by OxiTrash » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:12 am

I really like how the new hall of fame if you know what your looking for it makes it easy to find. I wouldn't mind if the "Hair Extension Show Offs" had grouped sub forums for different styles. So you don't have to dig through a bunch of photos in the show of section to find 1 style. Maybe I'm a little OCD with having things in perfect order :] but I think now that I'm getting used to the hall of fame set up it's pretty easy to navigate.
*Oxi Trash*

OXI LOX dreads by Oxi

MissAnthropik

Post by MissAnthropik » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:49 am

Squidgy wrote:Hiya - I asked a while ago if it is possible to change the colour chart or amend it so that there is a way of showing each colour as sub sections - I am trying to find a specific colour but with so many comments and posts within the thread it is very jumbled and confusing.

Is it possible to create / change the existing one - in my head I see it something imilar to the individual show off threads - but rather than usernames for the suject title you state the brand, the shade and or name, followed by pictures of the colour, stated whether taken in nautal light / flash, raw kk or dreaded etc.

I am aware that this is a big request but I think it would help people to understand brands better and ensure that if colours do change - eg Afrocares new sky blue - people can see when and to what colour the change has occured!!
I am supremely busy with work this evening, but I will try to get onto this in the next week or so, I would think there would be something we could do :)
telling it like it is!

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:06 pm

MissAnthropik wrote:
Squidgy wrote:Hiya - I asked a while ago if it is possible to change the colour chart or amend it so that there is a way of showing each colour as sub sections - I am trying to find a specific colour but with so many comments and posts within the thread it is very jumbled and confusing.

I am supremely busy with work this evening, but I will try to get onto this in the next week or so, I would think there would be something we could do :)
Thats awesome, thanks... I can only imagine how huge a task it is - but I think it is something people will really benefit from.

I look forward to seeing it when its up and ready!! :D
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

BioMekanisk

Post by BioMekanisk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:09 pm

I realize this is a bit late but I do agree with the 50 post thing. Though not near as known as ikickshins or anyone else on here, most likely, but I have had instances where I make some one falls and are about to send it out and they dont have money, or never intended on buying and some how hoped they would get it for free, which isnt what I do, because I dont make alot of money, and materials arent cheap for me.
So, to complain about it seems rather futile. Eventually, I'll work my posts up and become a good active member. To me, it seems worth it because this is what I like to make, and wear, like the rest of you. I still consider myself learning, though I've made these for four years, and I know I have plenty to learn from you all, if so willing.
One day, I hope to post my falls in the hall of fame.

Return to “Member suggestions and ideas”