THE ONE AND ONLY INTRODUCTION THREAD!

Forum rules
Please can all new members add to the ONE thread- DO NOT make your own thread.

DO not promote or sell
NO chatter at all
FreakyFiberFox

Re: THE ONE AND ONLY INTRODUCTION THREAD!

Post by FreakyFiberFox » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:58 pm

Hello All,

My name is Kylene and I'm from Ottawa Ontario.
I'm a fiber artist and enjoy working with all sorts of natural fibers, however I'm particularly fond of wool from heritage breed sheep. I knit, I dye fiber and I spin my own yarn on my spinning wheel or drop spindles. In fact I'm currently getting for an art show at the end of September where I'll be giving spinning demos.

I was online looking at different felting projects when I came across some wool dreads and thought it would be cool to make my own...so I did. But I'll expend on that later. However I have been asked a few times to make dread falls or SE and DE dreads for people and had not really done so since my felting skills were still in their infancy.

I would love nothing more then to share my knowledge of various natural fibers, felting, spinning and knitting.

Now for some off topic stuff...I'm a mom to a an awesome little girl that I nicknamed Peanut. She's bright, funny, creative and I just love spending time with her. We both are vegetarians and environmentalist. We make all our food form scratch (including our bread), don't own a car, and we're always looking for new ways to better ourselves and out environment.

We have a sweet little cat named Momo-chan. She's our hunter and makes sure our apt is free of flies, earwigs, etc...

I love to chat about everything and anything, so please feel free to message me anytime.

Oh an for those other people who enjoy the fiber arts...I'm on Ravelry (it's like the Facebook of all things fiber arts, but much much more) and my name on Rav is Black-Dragonlily. Some of my past projects are posted on there :)

Ciao for now

Kylene aka the FreakyFiberFox

Dreadgirl

Post by Dreadgirl » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Hello!! I have got the fear after reading that if I don't make my first post I could be deleted ..

I'm Penny. Living in Stavanger Norway. Originally from London though.

I have only in the last 7 months started experimenting with Kanekalon and making dreads seeing as I love creating something from nothing and having the added bonus of being able to WEAR it afterwards.

Have a 3 year old daughter who keeps me busy during the day along with full time work so my evenings have often been spent wasting time watch television and totally unproductive. Now I have realised I absolutely love making synthetic dreads and can pass the time in the evenings at home by creating them.

I wear DE dreads myself, not always, I am still trying to get past the phase where I want to take them out after 5 days as I find them quite uncomfortable to sleep on. Would LOVE to wear them for longer but have not mastered that yet. I have a sensitive scalp :( STILL won't stop me wearing them for a few days though :)

I think that's pretty much it ... I was directed here by my lovely friend Dare2wear who is a genius when it comes to making almost anything hair related. Am looking forward to indulging in all the tutorials, hints and tips which can only make me more experienced in the world of hair extensions.

Hope to get to know you all a little on these forums :)

pinkfloydsgurl

Post by pinkfloydsgurl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:50 pm

Hello cats!
The name is Manic Surry- rocking the socks and sockin the rocks! LOL
i suppose thats a good place to start as it does just about sum up everything I am. I'm one of those people who live for the moment and never back down. A Steampunk (read Airship Isabella's description of Steampunk, and you'll understand), a Pirate, a fan of music and literature and the like. If you want to more I guess you'll just have to talk to me!

Fair warning I'm slightly skewed. A good mate of mine described me as warped, which i believe adequately explains my entire...you know mental state. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I'm new around here, making dreads after being inspired to the point of breaking by an old mucker of mine from the office. She makes this fabulous KK dreads and even has my picture floating around on here :) Yeah i'm that cool :P.

ANY WAY just had a kiddo by the name of Tamriel which is why i am making my dreads out of acrylic yarn (so they are light and soft :D ) with a bit different technique then i've seen on here (yes my darling's I'll post the results). We shall see what we see eh? Any who-so this is me- married to a man by the name of Waller who is also the guitarist for our band (i'm a singer. YAY ME!) I'm a huge fan of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Hunter S. Thompson and i really like My Little Pony! :geek: (yup- totally said it) So thats it kids. If you have any questions feel free to shoot them at me via PM or anywher else you see me flitting about. I am here to learn and am open to kindly critiques (i'm a sensitive idiot... :ugeek: ) any way- much love mates! See you on the boards *blows a kiss*

elysian dreads

Post by elysian dreads » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Yo yo! The Names Mel, I'm from the north-west of England and currently run my own mobile natural-dreadlock creation/maintenance business. I have dabbled with wool and synthetic hair before but it's through this business that I have started to experiment further. I really hope that I can contribute and grow in confidence and skill through getting actively involved in all parts of the forum.

I look forward to talking to you all :) x

mona_me

Post by mona_me » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:29 pm

So, hey to you, guys!))

My name is Masha (nickname Mona), I live in Ukraine (so far, yeah) and I really enjoyed this site. I am Philology student and my German is much better than my English (so excuse me for all the mistakes if they are ;) )

I started to make dreads, to wear them myself and to experiment with synthetic hair about two years ago and it is just a great piece of fun) I joined to ask several questions and to share some experience if it'll be neccessary))

I love literature, cinema and partys. That's pretty much all. See you in the threads))

dkayingkhaos

Post by dkayingkhaos » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:02 am

hello all! I am Destiny. Hoping to see and read many inspirations and share tricks if the trade and discoveries.
I'm not sure all if what I'm supposed to post in the intro, I'm much better at answering questions asked. :D :i2:

dkayingkhaos

Post by dkayingkhaos » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:07 am

Oh yeah, And I have even working with hair for about 7 years now. I love creating, blending and adding trinkets.
I'm a big dork and love sharing hurrrz info.

Cariad Dreads

Post by Cariad Dreads » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi there, I'm Cariad. I've been making wool dreadlocks for a couple of years now, mainly solid colour DEs but have recently begun to experiment with accents. I've just opened an Etsy shop to sell some of my pre-made sets, but will be taking custom orders once I've got a little more confidence. I am totally blown away by some of the styles I have seen and am looking forward to experimenting with some of my own; I would love to be able to come up with something truly unique :)

I'm off to have a look around the site now, to seek inspiration and hopefully also to make a few friends. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all a bit better :) Bye for now! x
Human nature's shedding skin, we're all just shedding skin...

Night Glo

Post by Night Glo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Whew! That took a few days, but I can finally post here :) I've been lurking for days ever since I saw an old picture (circa 2003) of myself when I did braided extensions, and I thought to myself - my god I NEED to do synth dreads with an undercut. I've ordered some off Etsy (have a bit of arthritis in my hands so I don't think I can actually make them anymore - I'm only 26, what's up with that?!) and I can't wait to get the dreads in the mail so I can get going! :mrgreen:

My original interest in alt extensions developed in 2003, and I was fairly active on another hair extension forum that I can't remember the name of now, but I do remember doclocks from back then. So weird to see tuts in video on youtube now! I feel old :lol:

I'm hoping to get some pointers if I have trouble installing SEs into short hair (from 4-2"). I've seen doclocks tut on installing DEs on super short hair, and I've read a lot of suggestions about installing SEs into short hair, but I won't know until I start playing with them what's going to work for me..

I'm very excited to renew my interest in such a fun thing, feeling much more like myself just planning my new hair :D
she knows the human heart
and how to read the stars
now everything's about to fall apart..

ToraTora

Post by ToraTora » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:10 pm

Hello-lo-lo!
My name's Tora uvu
I'm 19~ and I'm a gogo dancer for a Hardcore and J-core DJ group in the Midwest united states called Allkore, most of my dancing is at
anime
conventions ahaaaa

I style wigs professionally (or at least I make money off of it, I can call it a profession gosh darn it!) and I make cute ravewear and accessories uvu
and uhm
that's really all there is to say aaaah!
I'm still learning a few things about extensions and whatnot, but I do make mixed media falls very well~ and I'm always up for sharing my wig styling techniques!
  • Tora-Tora
  • dancer
  • total cutie pie

Freaky Fabulous

Post by Freaky Fabulous » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:43 am

Hello everyone!

I’m very honored for the opportunity to join this forum. For starters, my experience with different hair styles ranges from coloring, wearing hair extensions and wigs. While dying hair various shades of the rainbow is exciting, my favorite (so far) is hair extensions and wigs. I find them fascinating, due to versatility and how often those products continue progressing.

However, the next project is taking it a step farther by creating my own falls. Dreads, cyberlox, braids, twists and fringes are some of my goals. Since it’s a new area, I’m spending time practicing to become better at this craft. With enough time and patience, hopefully I’ll have a few pieces under my belt.

When I’m not experimenting with hair, I enjoy the following hobbies: sewing rookie, science fiction/fantasy/horror (books and films), comic books, Pixar/Disney, decorating, relaxing to music, sports, video games, tattoos, piercings and motorcycles.

Thanks for allowing me to become part of this awesome community. I look forward to learning new techniques and participating in many discussions here.

See you around the message board.

lavenderheart

Post by lavenderheart » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:48 am

Hey there everyone!!

I joined this community so I wouldn't be so much of a lurker anymore. I have had "real" dreads for nearly a year, but I am in the process of taking them out. I am strongly considering making some dreadfalls or DEDs to braid into my hair. I am so glad that you guys are here brimming with information and awesomeness!!

That there is me, however now I've got smooth hair. I have made a couple hundred dread extensions out of human hair for my hair, but I have almost 0 experience with synthetic hair. My dreads were in a ponytail in that picture.

I decided to take my dreads out because I just felt the dread of combing them out later on growing on me. I hated thinking about combing out really tight, mature, several-years-old dreads. I decided to take mine out and opt for something a little more fun!

I am currently studying chemistry and I just might be a chemistry major, but I honestly don't know the trajectory of my life. All I know is that I got an A in trig and I am going to nail calculus, too!! I speak German and Swiss German, and some Spanish and French. My facebook is under Lavender Bones. :) Nice to meet all of you!

-lavenderheart

juustojoki

Post by juustojoki » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm juustojoki. I've been a lurker here for about a week so I decided to register. I like your guys' work! So many styles look great :)
I discovered dread extensions a bit less than a year ago and made my first set out of wool roving. I'm currently in the process of ordering some KK to make my first synthetic set. I'm very excited! I'm new to this, so I'll be pestering you with some questions.
Glad to be here!

\m/
"To set your mind free, you must first just listen. Don't waste your life on worthless hate and contradiction, don't you." - Nevermore, "A future Uncertain"

Immortaltraveler

Post by Immortaltraveler » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:52 am

Hey forum! I am new to Hair Extensions Forum, I have been a dreadmaker for many years now but am just lately getting into the internet side of things =]. I love synthetic dreadlocks and I'm here to check out what other people are doing and exchange different technique styles and to generally admire unique dread kits!

kyliekalon

Post by kyliekalon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:33 pm

Hello! c: You people are all so fascinating with your helpful tips and gorgeous dreads, I couldn't help but to register. I'm a Junior in an online high school now and started making synthetic dreads when I was 13. I also make falls out of foam, crin, and yarn. I mostly stick to dread extensions now though.
Some other things I do are sew, make jewelry, bake, make platform shoes (I also alter shoes), craft, sketch/design (fashion), and create polymer clay charms.
One of my biggest goals in life is to get accepted into Parsons in New York City for fashion design.
Anyway, I hope to meet lots of awesome people here! c:

PinkHalo

Post by PinkHalo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:12 pm

Hello!

My name is Angel, also known as Pink Halo, and I’m from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I am very thankful to be a part of your wonderful community! I’ve been a lurker on this forum on and off some quite some time, but finally decided to register. Your posts, pictures, and tutorials have been extremely helpful and inspiring, so thanks for all that you’ve taught me so far. :)

I love bright colors have had my hair every color of the rainbow, but many years ago I got a job at an office that required me to have ‘normal’ hair, and so began my adventure into fake hair! I make mixed media falls with Crin, Yarn, and Foam. Looking to start with roving as well, but not sure if I have the patience or skill for dreads; though I certainly admire those who do.

I’m also a fire performer with my group Fire Inspired Productions. I’ve been spinning poi for 10 years and hula hooping for 8 years. I've been a kandi kid in the rave scene for 10 years, I love EDM, and have an unhealthy obsession with anything rainbow.

Can’t wait to see more of your inspiring work and beautiful hair!

Capriciousness

Post by Capriciousness » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:01 pm

Hello all!

First post after procrastinating... :? But anywhoo...

My name is meg! I style real hair, wigs, and extensions. I learned how to make dreads from my mother, and learned how to make clip-ins and wefts from the internets. I do most of the wig styling for my local RHPS cast and did wig styling for our REPO! cast as well. I enjoy working with kanekalon, specifically wet heat styling wigs. I also cut, dye, and style hair for my friends in exchange for booze and pastries.

On my list of passions, hair and makeup are second only to music. I like long walks on the beach, pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain.

Kmitanie

WTB Synth dread for the first time need help please ????

Post by Kmitanie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:06 am

WTB Synth Dreads in black. This is my first time and I need information for my shopping. I have seen a few places but don’t know if it’s some very good product. And I want my double ended dreads to be fucking long, at the same level as my ass hihi.

Know you should have seen that my english writing is bad, because I am french

Thanks for the help

misshexen

Post by misshexen » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Willow from London. I'd been interested in making my own dreads for years and after I managed to repair the few synthetic dreads I had I finally made the jump into making them. So far with varying results. So I'm hoping to get some direction, and get some ideas from you all.

I also make jewellery, and play a lot of Munchkin and Gloom and love raving.

Great to meet you all.

Will x

i_have_no_candy

Post by i_have_no_candy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:30 pm

Well this is kind of a re-introduction as i figure there are a lot of new people on the board since I've been here! hi everyone, i used to be here all the time but finishing university, entering a profession, moving out and a hectic roller derby schedule have kinda eaten my fake hair hobby for the last few years. Its great to see so many familiar faces are still here and all of the awesome hair pics. I am in a job where i can't have dreads anymore, but they are nice enough to let me keep my pink hair and piercings. I'm hoping to get handy with clip in extensions so i can change it up a bit on the weekends, as i haven't worked with this much in the past. I have missed being here regularly and am glad I'm now in a position to drop in more often!

jellybeanjody2

Post by jellybeanjody2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:53 am

HELLO EVERYONE!!!

My name is Jody.
I am from Chicago, Illinois, and I am at the tender age of 19.

I am currently a student at Paul Mitchell the School Chicago, and I love it.
Hair hasn't always been my passion, but ever since I started doing mine I fell in love with it. I like busy work like this, and I am a people person.

Now my history with extensions goes waaay back. I got a partial weave when I was 15, and from there I never looked back. I have a few diseases that made my long luscious thick, coarse wavy hair turn into thin, fine, curly damaged hair. So extensions have been my security blanket for almost 5 years now. In fact I am so madly in love with hair extensions, I have done 7 page research papers on it for my stint in community college, and I have met with some of the best hair extension specialists in my state, and picked their brains. So I know a lot about extensions and I am looking forward to helping ya'll!!

When I dyed my hair pink, I decided to switch from my clip ins to strand by strand because of the fading and comfort. Every time I would get them reinstalled it would be a nightmare because no one could quite do it. So I learned how to do it myself. And now I have about 3 different methods mastered, and I do them on other people's hair. Right now, shrinkies are my favorite. And I get almost all my supplies cheap on ebay.

Well I look forward to talking to everyone and I hope we can all help each other out!

Mattiasmonday

Post by Mattiasmonday » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Hey! My name is Mattias and I live in Stockholm, Sweden. I've been experimenting with all kinds of extensions since 2005, but now I'm mostly messing around with wool. I love colours and crazy projects and have found a lot of inspiration in the show off-secrion for quite some time now, and I felt that it's my turn to contribute!

Besides making dreads I enjoy reading, painting and searcing for new inspiration.

/M

CurlUpAndDye

Post by CurlUpAndDye » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:15 pm

Helloo :)

My name is Tasmin, I'm 19, female, and currently in the middle of moving from Northern Ireland to South West England :)

I have made a few sellable sets of dreads before and many practice sets over the last year! Unfortunately life got in the way and I had to stop but I'm starting back up again!
I have been an extreme hair dyer for a few years now and decided it just wasn't enough anymore so I tried my hand at synthetic dreads and fell in love :3
I'm here to perfect my technique and hopefully live the dream; have a job making dreads and comfortably pay the bills :P

I am completely Tolkien obsessed. If I could live in Middle Earth during the 3rd age I would probably die of happiness!
I have a very lovely boyfriend who I will be living with when I move (I like to brag about him cause he's handsome and sweet and a complete darling and I'm still not sure how I got him :P)
I have my level 1 certificate in hairdressing but have been trained to a level 2 standard. While I love doing hair I found that rinses and curlers weren't really my thing. Plus I'm really bad at talking to old people :(

Anyway, I think I've blabbered on enough for now! I shall leave you with a 4am picture of Adam and I from last week :3

The world is not in your books or maps, it's out there.

LaJessi

Post by LaJessi » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:00 pm

Hello my fellow hair lovers. My name is Ana David. I've browsed this forum a bit and love some of the things I've seen. Nice dedication. I have used extensions for at least 15 years now, so I hope that i can write some post that make sense. Hope to hear from you through this forum.
Ana David
https://www.facebook.com/AnLizzie?fref=ts
http://www.lajessi.com

"I'd luv to kiss ya, but I just washed my hair." Bette Davis

Fun.Size.Sami

Post by Fun.Size.Sami » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:33 pm

Hello, everybody! =D
My name is Samantha (or "Fun Sise Sami"), I'm 25yrs old, and living in Spokane, Washington US. Although I've been reading your posts on this site for yeeeaaarrs, today is my first day of actually being a member. =)

I've been making synthetic KK dreads for about 9 years now and installing them on people other than myself for about 7 of those. I wanted to become a member because I need to ask you skillful ladies some pretty specific advice on tequnique and sealing methods.

I enjoy working with Silky Braid a lot more than Jumbo Braid for a number of reasons, and I'm hoping to find a few friends here who enjoy the same.

My hair is almost ALWAYS in KK dreads. It changes at least every couple months and sometimes only for a wild weekend. ~_^
My favorite sets to have in are the white/platinum with just about any shade of pink, but unfortunately, I'm a brunette right now until my hair can get healthy again, so I'm laying off the bleaching. lol

Anyway, that's just a little about me. it's nice to meet you ladies and finally be part of the site! Thanks for reading my introduction!

(Also, I'm trying to upload a photo here, if it doesn't work, forgive me.. I'm new at this. ^^;; )

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 5072_n.jpg
~FuN SiZe SaMi

Return to “New to the Hair extentions forum...”