My first try.. critique please!

oxalchemyxo

My first try.. critique please!

Post by oxalchemyxo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:53 pm

Well, they're my second try at transitionals. The first time I tried making transitionals was like 2 years ago when I first got into making dreads. But that was completely pathetic :lol: .

So the method I used to make these is this one: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=323

I actually made the one on the left first :roll:

Does anyone who has ever used this method know if this is supposed to happen? Both the black and the yellow are backcombed properly, but where they meet looks so weak and flimsy. Is this method supposed to produce these results?:

MORE ATTEMPTS

...what do you think? comments please.
~Alchemy~

Miss Liberty

Re: My first try.. critique please!

Post by Miss Liberty » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:53 pm

I think your attempts are good solid tries! Transitional dreads can be tricky, and its always that joint that is the problem. I have been doing them for years, and still once in a while have some trouble with wonky joints.

Much of this technique comes down to practice and really getting a feel for how much hair to use for that second color compared to how much you used for the first. It becomes a bit more natural with time. Keep going! I think you are certainly on the right track :)

Elstaro

Post by Elstaro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:17 pm

I think they look pretty good like miss liberty said comes with practice. Have you tryed backcombing the secound color a bit before attaching it to the first and then backcombing the joint a bit before twisting? that helps me alot.
I poo rainbows ^_^

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:50 pm

You can try using a felting needle at the join to strengthen it a bit more.

It really does mostly come down to practice, though. Transitionals are tricky!
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

emmyk89

Post by emmyk89 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:26 am

Hello! I think they look good i like the colours uve used :)

Ive just done my first trans aswell, i backcombed the whole first colour, made a little hole put the other colour through that hole then backcombed the second colour. Then I backcombed above the hole (because it went bigger when i was baclcombing the second colour through pulling it etc) to make it as thick as the rest of the dread, then backcomed the to colours together at the join a little bit. When i sealed there was a little dint/lump where the join is but it turned out ok i think :) (i have a pic on my (very) recent thread 'first set done') if thats any help :)

hellcity

Post by hellcity » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:12 am

I flat out can NOT do transitionals this way :lol:
My best friend is a felting needle when it comes to trans. I pretty much tried every other way and utterly sucked at it. I think at the end of the say, it REALLY comes down to practise! Keep going. It's the only way to get 'em right :)
I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I want in. - Homer Simpson

blog + violet.crime design facebook + personal facebook

oxalchemyxo

Post by oxalchemyxo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:39 am

Thanks everyone :) I guess I'll just have to keep going at it. I remember when I first started dreading, every single thing I did wrong (or thought I did wrong) I would come running to this forum for help, and everyone else said that same thing! :lol: and they were right. I'm not half bad at making simple basic solid dreads, but now since I'm looking to start selling I should probably broaden my horizons and learn all the different styles there are so I can please everyone. thanks again ladies!
~Alchemy~

dread_addiction

Post by dread_addiction » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:26 am

i love making transitional dreads :D

anyways they look ok just the middle part were they meet seem abit weaker.
i recomand to adjust were you add the second color .. place the second color a little upper were theres more hair..

trippytroll

Post by trippytroll » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:02 am

have you tried the felting needle method, where you dont loop the second bit of hair through but instead felt it on? ill see if ive got a link hold on....

here you go
http://delicstutorials.livejournal.com/8086.html

she uses two bit of hair fot the bottom, i only ever use one unless im doing more colours,
but i found this way much more better for trans, a bit more time consuming but the end efforts imo are heaps better

Antikia

Post by Antikia » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:25 am

As the others said it's practice, practice!

Sometimes if you've placed the second color a bit too low and you've already started backcombing the second color in place, it can help a lot to felt a small ball of hair just above the joint (same color as the first of course!) but be careful not to felt it too much as that will just give it a weird hard spot. But that can actually even the dread out quite a bit :)

Another thing, remember to always use LESS hair for the second color, depending on your bacmcombing method you might only need 1/2 of what you used for the first color, of even 1/3!

Return to “Hair Critique”