Hurray! Blue dreads DONE!! (way too many pics!)

mandikat

Hurray! Blue dreads DONE!! (way too many pics!)

Post by mandikat » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Hey guys!

Made these for a friend... I think they're all done now.

Used the boiling-first-straightener-second method, and they look MUCH better than my other batch..

Are the ends looking alright? They aren't fraying, but they are still a smidge thin. Not crazy thin, but sort of. Is there a way to super-seal the ends when they're too thin to backcomb, or is there a better way? (they look alright to me, I think, but they could probably be a smidge more solid...)

Also, I'm a dork.
Last edited by mandikat on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal."
-Mister Rogers

trippytroll

Re: Hurray! Blue dreads in successful progress!

Post by trippytroll » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:19 pm

ha ha that last pic is quality!
lovely shade of blue.
when i used to do dreads i either sealed th ends with a braid sealer or twisted the ends with a clamp and then steammed them but if you dont have a steamer you can just pull boiling water over hem just hold the clamp in place whilst doing it, dont let it twist back on itself
sophie
otherwise known as...
moomin love
TwIsTeD TaT
trippytroll
sale stuff here, make offers
http://trippytroll.livejournal.com/66563.html#cutid1

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:02 pm

That last pic is the bomb xD Your backcombing is looking great!

I think the solids look really good! But that candycane needs a bit of work. I notice you're twisting the individual colours (unless it's just the computer screen, correct me if I'm wrong, my eyesight is shocking), you'll need to twist the colours both together to end up with a smooth, well sealed candycane dread. You'll also want to use a bit less hair for them. I know you've got something going for you, you're picking it up quickly :)

mandikat

Post by mandikat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:12 am

rivetlicker_ wrote:I notice you're twisting the individual colours (unless it's just the computer screen, correct me if I'm wrong, my eyesight is shocking), you'll need to twist the colours both together to end up with a smooth, well sealed candycane dread.
I hear you. I was initially planning on having a twist-braid look, like this one: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_p0Kt28QRU1I/S ... CN3566.JPG
(sorry, I have no idea where the picture's from.. I just google image searched)

Still, if it's not going to seal well, that's an issue. I sure like the lady I'm making the dreads for, I'd hate to give her an inferior product! I've done some twisty-type dreads, just mixing the colors and having it spiral around. But no, your eyes are correct. I'll do that from now on! (after this batch, anyway.. I have 4 or 5 of these spiraly dreads that I'm going to try my best to seal. We'll see what happens!
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal."
-Mister Rogers

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:12 am

Those are looking fantastic:) I really really like the twists, I have some accent dreads from fizzypoplocks that are red/orange twists. Love them.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

dread_addiction

Post by dread_addiction » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:11 am

mandikat wrote:
rivetlicker_ wrote:I notice you're twisting the individual colours (unless it's just the computer screen, correct me if I'm wrong, my eyesight is shocking), you'll need to twist the colours both together to end up with a smooth, well sealed candycane dread.
I hear you. I was initially planning on having a twist-braid look, like this one: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_p0Kt28QRU1I/S ... CN3566.JPG

Still, if it's not going to seal well, that's an issue. I sure like the lady I'm making the dreads for, I'd hate to give her an inferior product! I've done some twisty-type dreads, just mixing the colors and having it spiral around. But no, your eyes are correct. I'll do that from now on! (after this batch, anyway.. I have 4 or 5 of these spiraly dreads that I'm going to try my best to seal. We'll see what happens!
rope briads i think they are called...
they have a reall good look.. for the ends of those i recommend, leave 5 inches unsaeled. stop making that rope like twist and just backcomb it all the ends together, stwist and seal just like you would with any dreads...just becareful not to burn ursefl with the boiling water method.

z0mbieface

Post by z0mbieface » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:59 am

Im no expert but they look lovely to me! The last photo makes me think of sonic the hedgehog :D

~Azaezl~

Post by ~Azaezl~ » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:06 am

They look great :mrgreen: and that last picture made me laugh so much that juice came out of my nose :lol:
Kanadeta senritsusae, Mou todokanai yumeno ato
Facebook

corpseesproc

Post by corpseesproc » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:31 pm

i think you should just go straight to making giant ones like in the last pic, those first ones look pretty good, i've never managed to make kk dreads that good lol
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleFusion
Bubble Fusion has an etsy!

mandikat

Post by mandikat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:25 pm

Thanks, friends!

I do love the chunky look.. Maybe if I were some kind of a lion for halloween next year, haha...
-Mister Rogers

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:00 pm

dread_addiction wrote:
mandikat wrote:

rope briads i think they are called...
they have a reall good look.. for the ends of those i recommend, leave 5 inches unsaeled. stop making that rope like twist and just backcomb it all the ends together, stwist and seal just like you would with any dreads...just becareful not to burn ursefl with the boiling water method.
Yeah, the ends can be backcombed together and sealed like that ^_^

Antikia

Re: Hurray! Blue dreads DONE!! (way too many pics!)

Post by Antikia » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:22 am

They look very lovely!! Your friend is gonna love them :)

I also adore the rope braids, and for sealing the ends a bit of direct steam is good, personally I use a hot iron an just go over the ends to really make them stay tight.
* Antikia @ VF & Blackmarket.dk

Return to “Hair Critique”