bad technique? and new colours and opinions plz

emmyk89

bad technique? and new colours and opinions plz

Post by emmyk89 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Hey guys! i think u probably know that im pretty new to this and stuff I just want a few opinions on these things.

This is a pic of some purple dreads (cant remember the exact colour of hair but it was from BH) i backcombed them and sealed them once (dont think my backcimbing was very good) i put them in when i had a set made and installed for me by someone else but i didnt like one of the colours she used so i made a few to replace that colour (so i guess i rushed it really, but they unravelled and this is what they looked like after about 2 weeks, is this because of bad backombing, bad sealing (or lack of) or the hair type? (read alot of bad reviews about BH) (oh and i know the ends are TERRIBLE lol)
http://emmakey.myphotoalbum.com/view_ph ... d=imag0090
http://emmakey.myphotoalbum.com/view_ph ... d=imag0091

Since then ive watched a load more videos and tutorials and joined this forum and read loads of posts and ive had another go and making dreads, these are kind of just practise ones with a spare jumbo braid red bag i had.
What are they meant to look like when they are backcombed and sealed? Mine look kind of "straight" not knotted or fluffy compared to the set i got made me for me prev, and only the outside of the dread looks backcombed, like this (ive untwisted it a little bit so u can see what i mean by it being "straight" and not knotted/fluffy) and ive only sealed them once (butg for a good few mins on each):
http://emmakey.myphotoalbum.com/view_ph ... d=imag0109

I think they also look a bit smooth like they would unravel after a week?:
http://emmakey.myphotoalbum.com/view_ph ... d=imag0105

The above dread is holding up the lower one is that a problem? Like they all keep attaching to each otherby one or 2 strands, i pull them apart but when i do long strands of hair get pulled out of the dread when i do... Is this due to not enough backcombing?:
http://emmakey.myphotoalbum.com/view_ph ... d=imag0113

Heres a pic of what it looks like after ive backcombed and about to twist and seal:
http://emmakey.myphotoalbum.com/view_ph ... d=imag0118
http://emmakey.myphotoalbum.com/view_ph ... d=imag0117

and what do u think of the ends?
http://emmakey.myphotoalbum.com/view_ph ... d=imag0112

Ive just bought a load of colours to try and do a set with i got them all off BH:
http://emmakey.myphotoalbum.com/view_ph ... d=imag0123

Fantasy rasberry, fantasy aqua, royal blue, light blue, snow white, lilac and fantasy aqautic, arent some of these problem colours to deal with mainly the fantasy ones? Im hoping not.. if so any tips on how to make them backcomb or seal better? Im using the wet cloth/straightner method!

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and replying :)

xalternmommyx

Re: bad technique? and new colours and opinions plz

Post by xalternmommyx » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:17 pm

i think you may need a bit more backcombing. i backcomb the hell out of any dreads i make, like to the point where you cant even backcomb more.

mandikat

Post by mandikat » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:41 pm

Heya!

Yeah, I think that your problem could be helped by a LOT more backcombing.. When you seal, too, be sure to wet the actual dread in addition to the cloth.. If there's no water getting to the middle of the dread when you seal, it unravels from the inside, and that can be really difficult to fix otherwise.

It's always nice to seal more than once, and maybe using more methods. CherryMorphine makes really smooth dreads by using the straightener method and THEN boiling them.. That's a way to super seal them, and her dreads pretty much rock face.

If you haven't seen RivetLicker's backcombing tutorial, it's definitely worth a watch or two. I return to it with every new batch, just as a refresher course (and to listen to her adorable accent).

Hope that helps! Your color pairings look great!
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal."
-Mister Rogers

Librarynerd

Post by Librarynerd » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:22 pm

Those dreads look exactly like my first dreads:) Yup much more backcombing is the answer. Try ripping apart the dreads you have already made and re-backcombing and re-sealing. I did this with my first dreads and they turned out very nice.

I find it helpful the backcomb the hair loosely first and the rip it apart and smooth, then backcomb tight then rip apart again, then a final very tight backcomb followed by smoothing and evening out the bumps. Depending on the hair you may need to rip apart and re-backcomb more times.

Finished dread ready for sealing should be very rigid, somewhat puffy and have a tight core.

Ditto what Mandicat said about trying multiple sealing methods to find which type, or combo of types, works best for you and the particular hair you are using.

Also I found I was using way to much KK per dread, I ripped some of my early dreads in half and re-backcombed to get the same thickness of the loosely backcombed dread.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

dread_addiction

Post by dread_addiction » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:42 pm

@ mandicat- are you serious recomanding CherryMorphine and her sealing technique?? have you seeing her after product, its horrid.
Here is the only work i found of her on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb ... 5850994638

I advised to backcomb more as the other ladies have told you, when twisting hold them tightly as the hair type your using its some what more difficult to seal.Fantasy hair colors are always difficult to seal and sometimes they wont seal at all. seal by section, start at the top and past the straightner 5 time but slowly, dont let go at all times, then keep going lower in sections until you get to the tips. to have a nice finish tips , you can either cut them off with scissors once they are well sealed or used your straightner to melt them away.. dont ever press the end with the streightner as this gives you a square end for pressing so hard. Instead with one side tilt the straightner towards you, the lower plate is the only one that you be using. hold the hair against it and you will see how the end start to melt and break off the left over leaving you with a nice finish end. ( if this doesnt make sence i can put pictures showing you how)

Also when using your straightner and rag, the rag should be fairly wet maybe with drips of water coming down the rad.. i found out a thinner rags works best then thick towels. anways once your rag its on your dreads and you are twisting, you can used your straightner but dont press hard at all.. just lightly as you past over the dread section and slowly . This will create more steam that goes throught the dreads since its not all tightly press against the plates of your straightner. also its less work on your hand and wrist.

if you have an question you are welcome to ask. :i2:

mandikat

Post by mandikat » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:16 am

dread_addiction wrote:@ mandicat- are you serious recomanding CherryMorphine and her sealing technique??

Hm. Well, she gave me advice on sealing... Retrospectively, I think I got her actual WORK confused with Cherry Bomb's (seen here: http://www.doctoredlocks.com/hh_forum/h ... =82&t=6711 )... All these cherries blend together so much!

It certainly does seem like a good method in general, though, to seal with two mediums. (I don't know, I just use the straightener method and I'm hoping my new batch will be nice after the second sealing, haha!)
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal."
-Mister Rogers

dread_addiction

Post by dread_addiction » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:28 am

oh ok I see how you could gotten confused !

I think what you mention could work but its too much work for me lol.
Anyways my dreads always are smooth and tightly sealed the way I make them, as I mention earlier. Not to mention that the twisting technique helps the dreads to seal better as well. You really have to take count of of the followings: backcombing, sealing method and twisting technique! After you master all this you should be able to make great dreads :D.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:05 pm

It's easy to confuse sellers with similar names :lol:
mandikat wrote: If you haven't seen RivetLicker's backcombing tutorial, it's definitely worth a watch or two. I return to it with every new batch, just as a refresher course (and to listen to her adorable accent).
HORRID ACCENT! :i10:
My mic makes me sound like a chipmonk. My voice is a lot deeper in person haha.

You're actually better off boiling first, THEN getting out the flat iron. Boiling water will shrink the fibres together, then the straighteners will help smooth down the fuzzies.

emmyk89

Post by emmyk89 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:32 pm

Hey all thank u so much for your comments :)
iv been backcombing a lot more and for longer and following Lara's backcombing tuts (great tutorial BTW Nd ur accent is cool!) and I've been wetting the dread first before sealing like u suggested and I've tried out different combs but I still can't seem to get it right, after sealing it it doesn't look backcombed enough (still looks kinda straight) despite it looking really backcombed and having really good knotting/matting before I seal it...
I'm going to buy a steamer I think it will be better for me. Do u still boil when uve used a steamer? And in what order? Thanks so much :)

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:58 am

You don't need to boil if you use a steamer :)

mandikat

Post by mandikat » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:20 am

At the risk of sounding like a creepy stalker (I'm not, I assure you), RivetLicker, you're so damn cool. You seriously know friggin' everything there is to know about hair.

(again, not a creepy stalker. Just **drunk**)

All my youtube videos are of me singing. I know so dang little about dreads.
-Mister Rogers

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:50 am

mandikat wrote:At the risk of sounding like a creepy stalker (I'm not, I assure you), RivetLicker, you're so damn cool. You seriously know friggin' everything there is to know about hair.

(again, not a creepy stalker. Just **drunk**)

All my youtube videos are of me singing. I know so dang little about dreads.
Haha :i10: thanks. To be fair, I've been doing it for a few years now and developed a knowledge thirst for it! I don't know enough!

Don't worry, I get so drunk sometimes that I write crap everywhere.

Khymeira

Post by Khymeira » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:10 am

dread_addiction wrote:@ mandicat- are you serious recomanding CherryMorphine and her sealing technique?? have you seeing her after product, its horrid.
Wowsers.

Hope my envy isn't too obvious, but how did that facebook page get over 1000 likes?

dread_addiction

Post by dread_addiction » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:27 am

Khymeira wrote:
dread_addiction wrote:@ mandicat- are you serious recomanding CherryMorphine and her sealing technique?? have you seeing her after product, its horrid.
Wowsers.

Hope my envy isn't too obvious, but how did that facebook page get over 1000 likes?

pity perhaps??
well i had to like her page to write her something but she deleted it like 2 das after.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:38 am

dread_addiction wrote:
Khymeira wrote:
Wowsers.

pity perhaps??
well i had to like her page to write her something but she deleted it like 2 das after.
Her "modelling" page (err, cell phone pics of her) has the same amount, she will delete any comments, regardless of how true they are, that are against her work. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of likes were obtained by spamming. Anywho, I only have under 1000, but I'd rather have less fans that are legitimate than spam the crap out of people to try and become popular. Mind you, popularity isn't all that, you get too many haters!

emmyk89

Post by emmyk89 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Hehe ur all so cool :D
She only has like 2 pics hasn't she, has anyone actually ordered from her?

I've got a question about the business side of it (dont worry I'm not going to do a cherrymorphine lol) I just wondered for those that do this as a business in the UK and have ur own websites and such, do u have to have a business licence (or whatever they call it, I have no idea about anything business wise lol) to be able to sell?
Ta :)

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:17 am

emmyk89 wrote:Hehe ur all so cool :D
She only has like 2 pics hasn't she, has anyone actually ordered from her?

I've got a question about the business side of it (dont worry I'm not going to do a cherrymorphine lol) I just wondered for those that do this as a business in the UK and have ur own websites and such, do u have to have a business licence (or whatever they call it, I have no idea about anything business wise lol) to be able to sell?
Ta :)
I doubt anybody with a brain will order from her, but I think one girl has been scammed out of some cash in that instance, by receiving a terrible product.
Legally, you would need one, but if you're only going to pump out one or two orders a month, I wouldn't worry about it.
If anyone asks me, I only do it as a favour for friends, which is really mostly the case :i9:

Return to “Hair Critique”