Second batch ever! ¬.¬ (new installed fall pics)

mandikat

Second batch ever! ¬.¬ (new installed fall pics)

Post by mandikat » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:08 am

Verah Verah thin dreads. Much thinner and cleaner than my first batch (I knew even less about what I was doing!), but it looks like I still had a few backcombing and sealing problems.

The ends are WAY thin.. Not sure if I should just try to cut the very ends off and reseal them or what.

I'm crazy about the colors, though... Watermelon, Cobalt, Teal, Honey Moon, and Bright Purple. Thanks to IKS!

I installed them as falls.. I think I'm a happier girl when my dreads are braided in, but I won't put them in until after my Vipassana course, just because of how itchy they can get.

Any tips on how to make THIS batch better? I'm thinking about resealing them in boiling water, but I might need to backcomb first)

Iiiii dunno.
Last edited by mandikat on Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal."
-Mister Rogers

Librarynerd

Re: Second Batch, still new at this!

Post by Librarynerd » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:34 am

Looking good! I really like the blue, orange, and purple twists. You're getting the hang of it for sure and you have a great eye for color and pattern.
I'm looking forward to seeing more :D
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

starfragment666

Re: Second Batch, still new at this!

Post by starfragment666 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:20 am

THose triple twists are pretty nice :)
If i'm making falls i find it easier to thread them onto a piece of stretchy lace-you can buy it from sewing shops.

Looking good though :)

Nicxxx
Nicxxx
Now free to take custom orders, to view my work click here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 24e97a2785
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=14046

mandikat

Re: Second Batch, still new at this! (pics)

Post by mandikat » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks, guys! I'm really hoping to find a way to make this batch wearable. :i7:
Last edited by mandikat on Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal."
-Mister Rogers

dread_addiction

Post by dread_addiction » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:11 pm

good try !
they are bit skinny but you will get the hang of making thicker dreads .
on the triple canes i think it needs more backcombing or seal tighter.
At first when you show the colors you were going to use previously in an other post i thought it wasnt going to work since i dont like orange but it does, great combo.

IKickShins

Post by IKickShins » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:17 pm

If you backcomb more, they won't shrink quite as much.

To have less of a taper at the ends, try using more hair per dread and backcombing little by little from the top down. The less hair gets pulled up to the top of the dread, the more gradual the taper will be.

As far as making falls out of SEs goes, I'd recommend either knotting the elastic on each side of the dreads or sewing them all together nice and tight so that they're bunched up rather than in a straight line. You'll get better coverage that way. Another good method is to do two or three layers of elastic instead of just one.
I Kick Shins - Now stocking olive green, pistachio, & neon purple kk jumbo braid!
IKS @ Etsy - Clip-in streaks & top hats galore!
Facebook - You know the drill ;)

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:03 pm

i like using two strands of ribbon to put them on for each fall. it gives good coverage and you can either hide the ribbon or tie it in a little bow when you put them on :) i like the color combo too. cant wait to see installed pics

mandikat

Re: Second batch ever! ^_^ (new installed fall pics)

Post by mandikat » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Installed the falls.. Seems like I am having a coverage problem. As soon as I can get some thread (and maybe ribbon instead of the elastic I was using), I'm going to try to sew them together. I totally see what you mean otherwise.

I wonder if I just need more dreads to make it thicker, or if it's a distribution problem. I used 5 bags of kanekalon, which I think is par for the course... right?

Anyway, I recently ordered 10 more bags, so I'll have a few more practice runs ahead of me.

(my friends want batches and just paid for the materials.. I'm obviously not going to try to charge them extra for my amateur time!! And on that front, I'm taking tips if anyone has any. So far, I'm DEFINITELY hot on the ideas of more-hair and more-backcombing.)
-Mister Rogers

iddylove

Re: Second batch ever! ¬.¬ (new installed fall pics)

Post by iddylove » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:01 am

if you can get a teasing comb, its way faster and in my opinion better to back comb with than your normal comb. theyre normally around three or 4 bucks at beauty supply stores.

Return to “Hair Critique”