first 2 days of making dreads

scream-spit-it-out

first 2 days of making dreads

Post by scream-spit-it-out » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:03 pm

I spent the last few weeks watching and reading everything possible on the internet about dreads. First i intended to buy some they where awesome but way to expensive for me, so i looked into making them myself, so i ordered some kanekalon and waited.... and waited.... and waited (not because of the seller by the way who sent it out very fast, just the post service).
I finally got it yesterday and pretty much havent stopped experimenting since. So what do you think?

Some fluffly bumpy bits need re-sealing and some ends didnt work so good but im pretty happy.

Also does any one else have trouble with indigo it hated me, i found it really hard to backcomb and seal they seem to be waterproof!

also i wanted to ask when i get good enough how do you make them into a nice coherent set i dunno if that is the right word but i cant really explain it. should they be all the same width? obviously nice colours that match, what about lenghths? what makes a set look like a set and not just a bunch of random dreads?

Thanks

Phoenix

Re: first 2 days of making dreads

Post by Phoenix » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:55 pm

I'm not going to be much help critiquing how the dreads are made (my forte is naturals) but you don't have to have a set which is exactly uniform to have a 'complete set'. I've seen it recommended before to slightly stagger the lengths of the dreads because when you install them the length differences won't be as noticeable. What this means is the longest dreads are going to be the ones installed at the nape of your neck and the shortest will be at the crown, by staggering the lengths the dreads should end up all coming together uniformly. To make the dreads all uniform width wise I'd suggest splitting the hair in half, then half again, then half again so you end up with 8 sections.

Kind of offtopic but is your username a reference to an Aesthetic Perfection song?

scream-spit-it-out

Post by scream-spit-it-out » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:26 pm

Thanks for your reply!

and yes it is, i love that song, but its mostly my username because i am unoriginal with usernames and it just came to mind because i have been listening to

dread_addiction

Post by dread_addiction » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:15 am

you did great ..dont give up, first time is never perfect all you need is more practice. you need to backcomb and make sure you dont ave weark spots believe me when i started i had a few weak spots . while stwisting dont let go of your twist while steaming or else it wont seal right.
these are all obvious but do it right and you be making great dreads :D.we all start with a rocky begining at our first dreads . so practice practice cuz that makes everything perfect :i2:

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:30 pm

I see a lot of inconsistency with sizing, but that's not the first thing you have to worry about.

The top dread in the first picture is spot on. Sure it could use a tiny bit more backcombing here and there, but it's the standard :) When you have your technique down, then you'll have more experience to create uniform dreads. This should help you achieve even width > http://angeleyezxtc.deviantart.com/#/d2x49n2

Practise will make perfect. Keep at it and don't give up!

scream-spit-it-out

Post by scream-spit-it-out » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks for your replies.
After i resealed most of them they looked much better and the ones i have made since are looking awesome.
woo! i think i'm addicted.

dread_addiction

Post by dread_addiction » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:54 pm

scream-spit-it-out wrote:Thanks for your replies.
After i resealed most of them they looked much better and the ones i have made since are looking awesome.
woo! i think i'm addicted.

welcome to the club lol.. im addicted too lol i guess you can tell by my user name lol.

Return to “Hair Critique”