Naturals (pictures added)

Leanna Moore

Naturals (pictures added)

Post by Leanna Moore » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:51 am

Okay so, I took a bit of a break from making dreads... And after I started up again... I just COULDNT seem to stagger the length, like... I theres such an extreme taper- I didnt want that for these dreads... so I'm all frustrated with myself...

Anyways, these are to go along with a set of custom dreads from hatemekillme (cant wait to get them :3), as I asked for quite thin dreads, I figured I'd need more than 50 for my fat, thick haired head xD

There are 21 dreads in total. 19 DE's in darkest brown and watermellon, two with one side braided... And 2 single ended in watermellon.
Since the ends were so thin I decided to give them a little bit of curl/wave. They're soft and pliable, yet very tough and can't be pulled apart (very easily)

I Didnt think these were showoff worthy as I feel they were so horribly made, so I posted them here. Some advice would be nice on how to stager the taper- <- If that makes sense.
Sorry for the crappy camera phone pictures >.> My SLR had a bath in a river when I lost my footing end fell into the water, so its pretty much dead. Will be able to take better pictures when I get it replaced.

Update:

I took the advice that was suggested: Take my time, and backcomb the ends more, and here are the results-

As you can see, they're not a big PEWF and then long loose hair ^__^

I still wanted some loose hair at the ends though :3
2 grey DE's medium/long length
Last edited by Leanna Moore on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dread_addiction

Re: Naturals

Post by dread_addiction » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:10 am

i think they look great. i love the wavy / curly affect . i also love the ones that are braided and then puffy at the end very creative :D. i persay dont make naturals yet but i will evectually!!!.... anyways i dont know what you would need to improve on, to me they look lovely and ready to be installed and have a great show off :i9: .

Kajablomst.

Post by Kajablomst. » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:16 am

I was wondering how you made these, since they aren't really tapered, just poofball and then wiggle...

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:18 am

How long did you want them? Sometimes creative trimming down to say a 14"-16" dread can disguise length problems. It looks like you've backcombed the main body of the dread and then given up at the end, which is why the ends are so thick. To make a taper you need to keep backcombing the ends until they're very whispy. Also, pulling the knots apart and downward then rebackcombing will help with making a smooth transition between the body and end of the dread. This can help with thickness as well, as you won't be concentrating all of your backcombing at the top of the dread.

Kajablomst.

Post by Kajablomst. » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:57 am

Looks like you've tried to backcomb twice as fast as you should..

CancerHybrid

Post by CancerHybrid » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:08 am

backcomb the ends more
*Manda*

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:28 pm

dread_addiction wrote:i think they look great. i love the wavy / curly affect . i also love the ones that are braided and then puffy at the end very creative :D. i persay dont make naturals yet but i will evectually!!!.... anyways i dont know what you would need to improve on, to me they look lovely and ready to be installed and have a great show off :i9: .

Aw thank you ^__^ I'm glad someone likes them hehe

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:30 pm

Kajablomst. wrote:I was wondering how you made these, since they aren't really tapered, just poofball and then wiggle...

How? I guess... Getting frustrated an impatient and not really doing a good job.

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:32 pm

Phoenix wrote:How long did you want them? Sometimes creative trimming down to say a 14"-16" dread can disguise length problems. It looks like you've backcombed the main body of the dread and then given up at the end, which is why the ends are so thick. To make a taper you need to keep backcombing the ends until they're very whispy. Also, pulling the knots apart and downward then rebackcombing will help with making a smooth transition between the body and end of the dread. This can help with thickness as well, as you won't be concentrating all of your backcombing at the top of the dread.

I wanted the taper to start at around 3/4ths down. I'm going to try making a few more with your suggestions :3
Thanks

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Kajablomst. wrote:Looks like you've tried to backcomb twice as fast as you should..

I probably did. I had a mindset of 'I want to get these finished as quickly as I can... ' And that NEVER turns out good dreads (as far as I know)

Leanna Moore

Post by Leanna Moore » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:34 pm

CancerHybrid wrote:backcomb the ends more

I shall do so! Thank you

Kajablomst.

Post by Kajablomst. » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:22 pm

Leanna Moore wrote:
Kajablomst. wrote:Looks like you've tried to backcomb twice as fast as you should..

I probably did. I had a mindset of 'I want to get these finished as quickly as I can... ' And that NEVER turns out good dreads (as far as I know)
:lol: No.. you have to try to patient.. I know its hard sometimes. :) I think you get the idea, just try not to do it as fast.

Return to “Hair Critique”