First set of dreads (roving)

tr1angl3

First set of dreads (roving)

Post by tr1angl3 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:25 pm

I finished my first set of dreads! I started off making palm rolled dreads but it's been really hot lately and dealing with all the hot water was pretty intolerable. So most of these were made with Miasma's washing machine method. The first time around all my dreads escaped into the washing machine and got a little strange (mostly paddle-like ends o.O) but a second run through and some palm rolling fixed all but like three. I'm fairly pleased with them and i really like the color XD I used amethyst merino to try and match my purple and blue hair. It doesn't match but it looks pretty anyways.

sorry about the cellphone pics.

They're just barely longer than the longest part of my hair.
Up close:

You can see some of the funny ends here. Mine came out with super blunt tips, not really sure how to get a nice taper using this method. Any c&c is ofc welcome.

edit: btw any tips on getting the really small wiggle would be appreciated. I can only seem to get wavy and curly so far

Librarynerd

Re: First set of dreads (roving)

Post by Librarynerd » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:14 pm

I love them :i2: The color blend is lovely and I really like the blunt almost knobby ends. Nubby ends look more like real dreads to me and gives them character.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jeanween23

XXXX I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused. XXXX

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Small wiggle is done in the machine too. US machines are different to UK ones though, so I'm not too sure what to suggest. With mine I do a 30 degree wool wash, about 4 or 5 times (leaving them to dry between each time in the machine)
regarding the ends....did you cut your roving or tear it??

these were machined:
I tear the ends, instead of cutting - you get a better taper that way ;)

Are you twisting your roving the way miasma does? That'll give a wave like the one you've got. If you just dry palm roll them & put them in the machine you should get the small wiggle.

Also, the hotter the water the tighter the wool will felt - I've had a few disasters putting dreads in on a cycle that was too hot.... better to do a few "cool" washes that one hot one.

Hope you get the results you want :D
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

tr1angl3

Post by tr1angl3 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:48 am

Yeah i rolled them like Miasma said to and I tore the roving. I think maybe the problem is that almost all of the dreads escaped from my pillow case the first time through the wash and completely untwisted. I wasn't really sure how to get the small wiggle after the first felting so i twisted each dread around itself and secured it with rubber bands. Predictably it didn't really give the effect I was going for but they did get nice and wavy.

My washing machine is super lame and only has hot, warm, or cold ._. Twice through was probably overkill (they are pretty stiff) but they were kinda jacked up and needed fixing and it was still too hot to do it by hand.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:42 am

Ok, yeah. Don't twist em the way miasma does, dry palm roll, then just put them into the pillow case....probably try a cool wash, rather than a warm. It'll take a little longer, but as I said better to do it a few times than on a hot wash & destroy them. Knot your pillow case & secure the top with an elastic - should stop them from coming out.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

tr1angl3

Post by tr1angl3 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:30 pm

Oooh cool I will try that on my next set ^^ Thank you very much

On an unrelated note I just found UV reactive roving XD

miasmahair

Post by miasmahair » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:14 am

Ha, I wrote out a reply for you and must have just previewed instead of submitting it, duuuh...
Anyways, I was going to say... Yay! They look really good! And, um. Oh yeah, I can see in your closeup that some of the ends have just folded over and felted themselves to the side of the dread. You should be able to pull them off and straighten them out with some hot water (it sounds a bit weird, but I use my teeth to rip off any stuck ones). It helps if you're doing the twisty things to make sure the ends are poked through the loop like this (you might have to look at the picture in fullscreen to see what I mean)
Also try experimenting with different temperatures in the machine, the number of spin cycles, and even having clothes in the wash with the bag of dreads. Hope this helps! :D

Return to “Hair Critique”