Natural Dreads

Jsellers1981

Natural Dreads

Post by Jsellers1981 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:24 am

Ok, here are a couple of attempts at natural dreads. Please be honest in your critiques! Keep in mind that I am trying to get them as natural looking as possible. I love the way that the dreads on the left look and feel after they came out of the washing machine but I don't like all of the fly aways. I haven't done anything to those except backcombed, palm rolled, washed, palm rolled. The set on the right were done the same way except with more hair and were "sealed" with a flat iron after being washed and palm rolled again. I don't like how stiff they are. I think the ones on the left are much more natural feeling. Any tips for how to get rid of the fly aways without losing the light, fluffy, natural look?

Sorry for the crappy pics.

Washed and "sealed" set.

Fresh washed set up close.

Washed not sealed set.

Kittycat

Re: Natural Dreads

Post by Kittycat » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:20 pm

It's a bit hard to see the dreads, haha, but from what I can see, I think they look great. I actually had to look twice, really thought that they were real! Maybe you could try to crochet them a little to get rid of the fly aways? Just do it briefly with big spaces, or something, think they'll look even more like real dreads then :)
http://www.kittydreads.se
Like!; Kittydreads @ Facebook

Jsellers1981

Post by Jsellers1981 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:49 pm

I'm glad to hear that! I wonder what would happen if I washed them in hot water instead of warm water? Would they just be a big clumped mess? Do you think if I was to put the stiff ones back in the washing machine they would soften up a bit? I think those might be a lost cause at this point. I don't know anything about crocheting but I guess I will have to learn!

Kittycat

Post by Kittycat » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:30 pm

There are several good tutorials on youtube on how you crochet dreads :)
I think that there's a risk that the dreads get a bit sticky from the warmth.. But I don't know, I have never washed my dreads in any warmer water than 30 degrees. Perhaps you could try out with 40 or 50 degrees? But dreads tend to get softer when you wear them ^^,

Jsellers1981

Post by Jsellers1981 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:26 pm

Thanks for the info! Our washers in the US don't have a temp to them, it is either cold, warm or hot. I guess I will just stick to the warm setting and see how the crocheting goes tonight. Thanks again!

Kittycat

Post by Kittycat » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:51 pm

Bummer! Hope they turn out the way you want them, and np! :D

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:35 pm

I really like how those look. It is normal for sealed dreads to feel stiff, another wash might soften them for you. Nice job though, I'd love to see an install.
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

hellcity

Post by hellcity » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:23 am

They look SO REAL! Nice work! I'm currently in love with the good old felting needle for naturals. It really helps :)
I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I want in. - Homer Simpson

blog + violet.crime design facebook + personal facebook

iddylove

Post by iddylove » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:08 pm

nice:) i think washing them in hot water would probably melt them though (if its synthetic hair)

Return to “Hair Critique”