First Synth Dreads(recycled)emerald green curly accents

`Lush

First Synth Dreads(recycled)emerald green curly accents

Post by `Lush » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:10 am

EDIT!: I'm recycling this thread to minimize forum clutter. I added new pics to this thread of my second day of making dreads. yay newbies!

Edit 2: DAY 3's dreads are added! they look much better than my previous attempts!! :)

Edit 3: Day 4's dreads are done. Managed to get 6 done. Although i probably could of done around 12 or more, i just decided to stop at 6 because i wanted to hangout with my boyfriend for a while. Plus Trueblood was coming on. :i6:

Edit # 4: I took some time off cause I got very busy at work working 10 ish hours a day and I've been sooooo tired. But i've been making some mored dreads, and they've come out pretty nice. Just started back up again yesterday and today!

So, I got my KK today, and I immediately went to work on a dread.

I knew it wasn't going to be perfect, or really even good, but i didn't think it would come out this bad. lols.

It took me like.. an hour and a half to do this one. yes, only one. lol. Is that normal?

anyways, here are pics, tell me what I could possibly be doing wrong?

I already know i didn't evenly backcomb.

well at least i thought i did, but when i twisted and sealed it looked yucky. :(

Last edited by `Lush on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:59 am, edited 7 times in total.
"Our Doubts are our traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt." -Shakespeare

radio-trash

Re: First Synth DE dread.. its bad. Help?

Post by radio-trash » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:40 am

All I think you need is practice! Make a whole set, make three sets. These things take time :)
"When it's dark enough, you can see the stars"
http://chanceyanne.etsy.com

`Lush

Post by `Lush » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:11 am

Surprisingly I'm not discouraged at all. I made 3 more dreads after that and one of them was single ended. I'm thinking I may be better at SE's than DE's at least to start. I seem to be having a problem with consistency and tapering.

I honestly thing it has a lot to do with my set up as well. (i sit on the floor and use the back of a chair which has a bar, and I also tie fabric to it.)

overall I think for a first attempt its not SO bad.

i also have pictures of the other dreads I made.

So far *I* think that the SE one I made is much better than the other 3, I even took a little risk and tried a transitional, and even the method that you pull hair through a hole and backcomb it into the original hair. (i saw the tut here.) it was tricky and took me quite a bit of time, but being such a beginner i think it turned out quite successful.

also, before i post my pics, anyone have any idea of a way to set up a better rig for dreading? or where I can buy things that may help?

thanks.

heres my SE transtional.
in red wine and purple

heres are all my dread attempts of the night. (i worked from like.... 7-9 and then 10-12 LOL i only got 4 dreads done... -_- oh wells. )

left to right is the order i did them in. the middle DE albeit thin seems to be my best DE yet. its the most solid, and is the most consistent. I think at least.

I'm actually kinda proud. I know they are bad, but i expected worse for my first attempt. haha.
Any tips?

I shall be attacking dreading again tomorrow afterwork WITH A VENGEANCE! ^_^
"Our Doubts are our traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt." -Shakespeare

Ice_Pick_Abortions

Post by Ice_Pick_Abortions » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:10 am

I don't think they're that bad at all, that transitional is brilliant for a first go! If you're getting a lot of lumps, stop back combing and twist regularly to see where the lumps are popping up then untwist an pick the lumps out, back comb, twist, feel etc until you have a nice smooth dread.

I use the same set up for dread making, it's perfectly fine :) It is something that just takes time!
"I have had many troubles, most of which never happened." - Mark Twain
"Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth."

In the ranks of the Indecisive Army..

Shedandy

Post by Shedandy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:15 am

That transitional is great!
I don't like doing DE's either I find it easier to make a setup for SE's by just getting a stick on hook to anchor it from. (the stick on hook is attached to a heavy table) In fact on the rare occasion that I have done DE's I usually do Harlequins so I can still anchor them from my hook.
This be my Facebook dreads page ^_^ Feel free to add me
http://www.facebook.com/shedandys

NaturalistDesigns

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:16 am

I think your set up is fine, so don't worry. Also I think if your having problems with just one solid colour - do them a similar way to your transitionals to start with :) Personally, for a start to dreads - they are making good progress! Keep at it! x

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:49 am

If you can do a transitional, perfectly, first time ever, first set ever, you are a freaking legend. Seriously.

Love Bunny

Post by Love Bunny » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:02 pm

That is a mighty good transitional for a first timer! Congrats :D ! Keep up the good work cause it looks like you're 3 quarters of the way there allready! x
~Jess ♥

International Secret Sweet & Savoury Swap! Sign Up HERE!

starbaby

Post by starbaby » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:41 pm

That transitional looks better than mine. No joke.

More backcombing definitely. Make sure you're smoothing and twisting, as said before, to feel for lumps consistently as you go. It makes it easier to catch them before they get too developed and harder to deal with.

They look good though. Mine were wispy little nothings when I started!

pinky

Post by pinky » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:00 pm

just to add my two cents:D when i find a lump while sealing (if one sneaks by me while backcombing) you can twist the dread more while sealing and sometimes that will help makes the lump smaller or make it disapear. :D good work for the first time! my first ones were sooooo lumpy.

`Lush

Post by `Lush » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:55 pm

you guys are flattering me. stop it. lol.

i'm going to attempt candy canes today and a harlequin DE because maybe I might be better at DE's with 2 colors. I seem to have trouble finding the center when i use one solid color.

I'm also going to go to ace hardware and get some hooks to stick on my wall next to wear I sit so i can use them instead of sitting on the floor...

which would probably help for more than 1 reason, considering my cats think i bought this hair specially to make dread-toys for them. LOL.

as I am typing this, my kitten is using my leg as a scratching post and climbing up my pants.
its a good thing he's fat and cute. haha,.

radio-trash

Post by radio-trash » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:22 pm

Hey, good job on the transitional, wow. I personally think single enders are more difficult to do! Your other double ended dreads look decent too especially for the first few attempts. I also sit on my bedroom floor and use coffee table legs for an anchor, or a coat hanger, it's pretty hard on the back too *crack*.
Imagine how great a bit setup would be, if only I had some more space :P
"When it's dark enough, you can see the stars"
http://chanceyanne.etsy.com

`Lush

Post by `Lush » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:54 pm

rivetlicker_ wrote:If you can do a transitional, perfectly, first time ever, first set ever, you are a freaking legend. Seriously.
Well, i watched all your tutorials on youtube.
(before i even knew who you were too, just from googling dread tuts.)
as well as the doctored locks tuts. (like religiously. I was on youtube for like 3 days strait only watching tutiorals. i had dreams about dreadlocks. haha.)
so here. *gives you some credit* lol.

especially the backcombing vid. omg it helped so much :i2:

`Lush

Re: First Synth Dreads (recycled thread) Attempt number 2!

Post by `Lush » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:22 am

Ok, so day 2.

Went a LOT smoother.
I tried a few different methods and I bought some hooks, plastic ones for SE's and holding hair.
I am going to buy more hooks tomorrow but thinner ones that allow my SE hoop to be smaller. cause i made a pretty decent dread(for my second day) today but the hoop was terrible and bug and really loose cause i made it on the hook.

so, i went back to the fabric, which i like actually i just wish i had a more comfortable place to work.

I didn't make any DE's today as i'm just going to focus on getting my technique on par and working on backcombing and sealing until i'm good.

I tried a different sealing method today, I used my straightener instead of the iron and I actually like it better because I have more mobility with it and i don't squish the dreads as easily.

I made 1 solid dread
3 transitionals
and my first attempt at a candycane! woo hoo!

so onto the pictures. :

transitionals:

*I feel like i'm getting better at getting rid of the lumps and a little better with consistency, at least compared to the ones i made yesterday. Lots of practice in my immediate future! ^_^

and now onto my BABY!
i'm so proud of this dread I could cry. I know its not perfect, and I know i need a lot of work, but i think i did a pretty solid job on it for being a n00b.

*drum role*

My candy cane!
i know my colors are a little uneven (more red at the top, more purple at the bottom)
and I didn't back comb these separate. i actually backcombed them together.

and heres all my dreads to date minus the first one cause it was really bad.>.>

Let me know what I can improve on and what i could change or try. :)
I am having a lot of fun making these and I cannot wait until i am better to make some to wear.

I would eventually like to sell them when i'm pro like everyone here. lol.. :)

thanks so much for looking! I appreciate all the feedback and critique!

p.s. the pictures are cut off so you might need to drag them into the url bar thingy. :)

yralihenial

Re: First Synth Dreads (recycled thread)day/attempt 2! (picspam)

Post by yralihenial » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:31 am

the candy cane looks awesome *thumbs up* great job, i like it ^_^

Jynx

Post by Jynx » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:11 am

These are really great! All I can really say is keep going, I can tell you are going to be doing some fantastic work. As for the hooks/fabric, you can always use two and tie the fabric to them! :D

`Lush

Post by `Lush » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:16 pm

Jynx wrote:These are really great! All I can really say is keep going, I can tell you are going to be doing some fantastic work. As for the hooks/fabric, you can always use two and tie the fabric to them! :D

ooh, good idea. i think im going to go to ace hardware after work. :D

MissPlastik

Post by MissPlastik » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:35 pm

you're doing great ^__^ and i like the colours

x

`Lush

Post by `Lush » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:21 am

So here is today's attempts.

(day 3 total of making dreads.)

I managed to get 8 whole dreads done.

i did 3 solids, 4 transitionals and 1 candy cane.

the colors used are
purple, sweet red, red wine, snow white, and watermelon. :)

Thanks for looking! :)

edit:

p.s.
Jynx wrote:These are really great! All I can really say is keep going, I can tell you are going to be doing some fantastic work. As for the hooks/fabric, you can always use two and tie the fabric to them! :D
I am using this set up now! it seems to be working MUCh better on my back and i seem to be able to get more dreads done without feeling like my back is breaking.It works even better too because I can put my straitner on the fabric while I'm sealing for easy access. :)

edit 2:
I used the braiding and wrapping method for my transitionals today. Just to see how i like different methods

as well as back combing my colors seperate for my candycane. (the other day I back combed them together. )

I haven't decided what I like more. :)

edit 3: (see i'm not just spamming to get my post count up LOL)
I am HAVING A BLAST!

ive burned myself a few times and my back aches a little more each night but i am SO EXCITED at the prospect of having dreads to wear, and way later on down the line, to sell, that I don't even care.
I wanted to thank everyone for your feedback and for all the tutorials i watched for like 72 hours strait that I know came from a lot of you on here. :)

i think this is my new favorite thing to do. :i2:

NaturalistDesigns

Re: First Synth Dreads (recycled thread)day 3! New pics!

Post by NaturalistDesigns » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:28 am

KEEP GOING!!

:D

You're doing honestly really really well! Those transitionals are bloody superb. You've also chosen some pretty awkward colours to start off with; but get the hang of the sod colours and you'll tackle the others with ease!

`Lush

Re: First Synth Dreads (recycled thread)First Curly dread! :D

Post by `Lush » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:52 am

Day 4's dreads.

I think i am making significant progress from my first day of dreading.
I still have a LONG way to go but these are definitely my best dreads to day, and I made a curly!

this is yesterday's + todays.

(she likes to help.)

luvplacebo

Post by luvplacebo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:27 am

The progress you've made is amazing, the last set look much better, definitely wearable. Keep practising I think you're really going to be great.
http://www.lighthousedreads.webs.com: offering 10% discounts for board users in exchange for photos

Shedandy

Post by Shedandy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Ohhhw doing great! I love how even though they are all random dreads they just seem to go really well together and would make a cute fall.
This be my Facebook dreads page ^_^ Feel free to add me
http://www.facebook.com/shedandys

convenientlust

Post by convenientlust » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:35 am

You're progress is showing very well! The curly looks great. What orange did you use (in the last pic on the left)? It's pops!

Oh, and your kitty is super cute ^___^

`Lush

Post by `Lush » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:15 am

convenientlust wrote:You're progress is showing very well! The curly looks great. What orange did you use (in the last pic on the left)? It's pops!

Oh, and your kitty is super cute ^___^
that orange is Hyacinth.
I really like the way it looks. :)

you can't tell from the pics but the curly is actually a squarey. LOL.

i didn't have anything cylindrical to use, but i really wanted to try it out and see if i COULD do it. so i used a back scratcher i had that has a square handle. lol. maybe i just made a new type of dread? :O lols.

and yes, that's "honey cat" thats what we call her. her name WAS moo. but... i don't think i have ever called her that.

I have a little fat black one named Bebop too. they both think i'm making dreads specifically to fit their playtime needs. -_- lol!

Return to “Hair Critique”