Curly woolies and a cat angel with yarn [many pics]

Candied_Angel

Curly woolies and a cat angel with yarn [many pics]

Post by Candied_Angel » Sun May 30, 2010 2:15 am

So I've been on a wool rampage since I came into a bit of money and found out there was a mill near me. But cutting the chit chat here are some pictures of some roving dreads that I'm making for my Otakon Mudkip cosplay. There are 15 DEs total. Most are either a solid turquoise or orange but some have blue 'bodies' and orange tips.

[Sorry the pictures are really poor. Even though I came into some money it wasn't enough to afford supplies -and- a new camera.]

From afar because I was lazy:
'xcuse the oddly cute kitty plushy in the background. It was one of my thrift store steals today. ^.^

Closer:

Side:

A weird little picture I took and sort of liked because of the shadow and light. That and I think it shows the colours pretty well.

The orange tips:

I dyed these using Orange Koolaid and a mix of Ice Blue Raspberry & Berry Blue [singles to go] Koolaid to get the turquoise colour. I think they turned out well and they smell really nice. ^.^

The only problem is that some of them went flat in some places. I think it's because I didn't felt them well enough but they were pretty tight when I rolled them the first time. Suggestions?

Also some of them are not as curled as I would like them to be but I think it's because I was too excited after following the instructions for curly roving by DreadStarMonter and unrolled them when they weren't really dry all the way. I want to curl them again, so should I felt them again before I wrap them up around perm rollers and throw them in the wash?

Here's some really chunky dreads [9 DEs] that I made when I was almost set in how I wanted my hair to look. I'm not too sure about them now that I have this really cute curly bunch on my foam head. Do you think it would be too much to mix chunky and straight with sorta thick and curly?

To show how thick they are:
The curly dreads are a little thicker than a sharpie marker.

Tips:

And while I'm here I might as well as show off some yarn wraps I made to install for a night at the Black Hole as one last 'bang' before my friend went off into the airforce:

The colours are really washed out in the pic but in reality they're a real nice deep purple, lilac, and pink blend/swirl. some have a hint of soft butter yellow and ice blue. The black is synthetic hair that I didn't really have any use for. I sealed them about 10 times with an iron but they still unravelled after a hard night of dancing and craziness.

Unfortunately this is the only picture I have of them in:
[pardon the bad-ish self-install. It's only my second time installing dreads of any kind.]
I took them out the next day since my mother wasn't too happy about them and they were looking a bit worse for wear the evening after. But I love them so I might just keep resealing them and installing them at random times. ^.^
Striving for social imperfection since 1990.

MrsEss

Re: Curly woolies and a cat angel with yarn [many pics]

Post by MrsEss » Sun May 30, 2010 12:00 pm

Candied_Angel wrote:
The only problem is that some of them went flat in some places. I think it's because I didn't felt them well enough but they were pretty tight when I rolled them the first time. Suggestions?

Also some of them are not as curled as I would like them to be but I think it's because I was too excited after following the instructions for curly roving by DreadStarMonter and unrolled them when they weren't really dry all the way. I want to curl them again, so should I felt them again before I wrap them up around perm rollers and throw them in the wash?
The more felted the roving the better the curl seems to take, how many times had to felted your roving before curling them? You can just wrap them back round & put them in the wash again. But, keep them on the curlers til they are fully dry :) perhaps a different setting on the machine? experiment with it (I have killed dreads this way, but it was a necessary evil to find the best setting)
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Candied_Angel

Post by Candied_Angel » Sun May 30, 2010 6:53 pm

Ohhh that might be the problem.
I've only felted them once when I initially made them. I plan on making some more so I'll probably felt them two or three times just so the curl comes out better.

Do you let the dreads dry before you refelt them?
Striving for social imperfection since 1990.

MrsEss

Post by MrsEss » Sun May 30, 2010 7:45 pm

yes, in the nice weather I dry them outside over the washing line.
*~*~*~*~*Saaaaaaspie-doo-be-doo-bedooooo is awwwwweeesoooooome*~*~*~*~*-ScarletLady

Socially awkward since 1982
Decimation Fashion
Tumblr
Formerly known as DreadstarMonstar

Gracey

Post by Gracey » Mon May 31, 2010 8:13 am

Heya, love the cat!

As you have got good advice above on the roving, I will stick to my area of expertise; yarn.
Candied_Angel wrote:The colours are really washed out in the pic but in reality they're a real nice deep purple, lilac, and pink blend/swirl. some have a hint of soft butter yellow and ice blue. The black is synthetic hair that I didn't really have any use for. I sealed them about 10 times with an iron but they still unravelled after a hard night of dancing and craziness.
No amount of heat sealing will stop yarn from unravelling, i'm afraid. Yarn wraps are achieved by careful and secure wrapping, and fixed with knots. The only thing heat (especially extreme heat) will do is warp your wool, if it does anything at all. ;)
What, that? It's a spade.

Gracey xx
Formerly known as Woolhairhabbit

Return to “Hair Critique”