My first DE that doesn't suck... much lol

NickkiHatesYourFace

My first DE that doesn't suck... much lol

Post by NickkiHatesYourFace » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Well I've been at it since my first attempt, this time just trying to focus on DEs cuz I want mainly DE dreads. So far all Previous DE attempts were horrible(I won't even bother posting them) and way too short some being 10 inches when I wanted them waist length. But now I think I might be getting the hang of DEs as I was able to produce this my first DE that's waist length, not lumpy/uneven(for the most part :i9: ) and just more aesthetically pleasing than my other attempts. Backcombing though is stil taking me forever :i6:

This actually a candy cane DE of darkest brown and dark brown though you can't tell but I was curious. Oh and the teasing comb is in there for size comparison.

I'm getting close to making the dreads I what to wear though I wanna try and get them more sharpie thickness, so tell me what you think if anyone has any suggestions for thicker dreads I need some help. Any and all critique is greatly apprieciated.

convenientlust

Re: My first DE that doesn't suck... much lol

Post by convenientlust » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:30 pm

Very nice, I really like it. The ends look great!

For thicker dreads - more hair and lotssss of backcombing. You'll get the backcombing technique down after doing a lot of them and it won't take you as long as when you first started.

I couldn't even tell it was a candycane though, until you said so... Haha.

rivetlicker_

Post by rivetlicker_ » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 pm

That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NickkiHatesYourFace

Post by NickkiHatesYourFace » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:14 am

Thank you guys for the compliments!

Antikia

Post by Antikia » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:39 pm

That really is awesome! Good job :)
I actually think I can sorta see it's a candycane haha
The only thing I will suggest is making the ends slightly thinner since that'll keep them from unravelling, but really it looks great!

As for thickness, like mentioned, more hair and loads of backcombing, make sure you get the hair 'inside' the dreads backcombed well too, that can be a bit tricky for thicker dreads
* Antikia @ VF & Blackmarket.dk

NickkiHatesYourFace

Post by NickkiHatesYourFace » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:16 am

My husband says he sees it too lol I just did it cuz the darker brown is just slightly too dark for my hair but I wanted to see if candycaning it would make it blend better with my hair color. In the begging I was doing skinny ends buts I longed for the thicker end look but took me awhile to figure out how I should seal a thick end. Here I just modified my last experiment with end sealing(which was clamping it with a straightener lol) except this time I just sorta lightly touched it with the straightener then kept molding it with my fingers til it looked ok, I kinda like the outcome and they seem to hold well for being so thick.

Squidgy

Post by Squidgy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:00 am

If you want the colours to blend better with your hair then blend the two shades together - viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2251&p=29106&hilit=blend#p29106 will give you good tips on how to blend two or more colours together..

I definately think you are getting the hang of it now - thats not a bad attempt - a little more back combing will help to make the dread sturider.. and should give a bit more of a taper... you can always burn the ends slightly with a lighter just to seal them - but this only works with darker colours..

Other than that I think you are pretty much on your way - and if you make a full heads worth you will see your improvements along the way!! :D
"I don't follow no religion, bow to the DJ, worship the riddum!!" ♬ ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫ ♬

Absolutely Dreadful

Post by Absolutely Dreadful » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:49 pm

That looks so smooth!
It reminds me of seaweed, but in a good way :S haha
I'd wear it :D

NickkiHatesYourFace

Post by NickkiHatesYourFace » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:51 pm

Thank you, smoothness is one of the aspects I like to focus on. For this DE after it was sealed I straightened the fly-aways by putting the dread between my hair straightener(on a lower temp of course lol) pulling it slowly and twisting it in the direction of the dreads' twist as I pull it thru. It ain't the fastest way but I like the results and and the dread feels alot softer.

WeaveWenchUK

Post by WeaveWenchUK » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:31 pm

NickkiHatesYourFace wrote:Thank you, smoothness is one of the aspects I like to focus on. For this DE after it was sealed I straightened the fly-aways by putting the dread between my hair straightener(on a lower temp of course lol) pulling it slowly and twisting it in the direction of the dreads' twist as I pull it thru. It ain't the fastest way but I like the results and and the dread feels alot softer.
You could also use a set of hair shavers(or clippers, depending on what you call them) and go up and around the dreads to help get all the sticky outty hair bits off. Just make sure you don't 'dig' the clippers into the dread, just go around the outside. I find this helps with getting the dreads nice and trim. Thought this might help you as you said you are aiming to get good smoothness. :) I use the hair clippers, then spray the dreads with water(lightly, just enough so they don't singe or burn) and use the hair straighteners the same way as you described. Still takes a bit longer, but oh so worth it when you see the results of your hard work. Just a tip that might help you. ;)

Also, liking that you have chosen two shades of brown, is nice to see more regular colour dreads as well as the more mental colours. Nice job. :D
I'm likened to a mixture of Little Miss Naughty, Little Miss Chatterbox and Little Miss Sunshine!! Apparently! :0)
Website currently being overhauled/redesigned, so please keep your eyes peeled:- http://www.weavewench.co.uk

ninjagirl

Post by ninjagirl » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:12 am

I think it looks good! Just needs some more backcombing if you want them thicker, as other people mentioned. Is that backcombing comb that you're using plastic? I'd personally invest in a metal one, then you can be much more ruthless with your backcombing without worrying about breaking the teeth :)

Return to “Hair Critique”